This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5717 / 51°34'18"N
Longitude: -0.1493 / 0°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 528354
OS Northings: 187496
OS Grid: TQ283874
Mapcode National: GBR DT.P1G
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.CRFG
Plus Code: 9C3XHVC2+M7
Entry Name: Highgate School, Old School Building
Listing Date: 2 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431896
Location: Highgate, Haringey, London, N6
Electoral Ward/Division: Highgate
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Highgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2887 NORTH ROAD, N6
800-/40/10012 Highgate School, Old
Public School, now its principal hall, with classrooms underneath. 1865-7 by Frederick Pepys
Cockerell for the Reverend Dr. Dyne, headmaster. Red brick with stone dressings and
decorations. Slate roof with stacks on end gable and rear elevation. Symmetrical five-bay first-floor
hall with projecting dias end, now stage, with oriel-reached via external stairs at opposite end, or
via external imperial stairway in centre added as war memorial in 1949. Ground-floor classrooms
not of special architectural interest.
Main facade with central gable and sundial inscribed 'Vera Loqui aut Silere' over three reliefpanels.
Lead parapet inscribed R S 1565. Mullion and transom windows with leaded lights and trefoil
heads under flat arches. A line of shields forms band at first-floor level. Projecting stone oriel
supported on single column projects forward of vaulted undercroft originally open, now
imaginatively infilled by James Cubitt and Partners. Original entrance steps to south reached under
projecting porch with particularly fine foliate carving. North elevation continues first-floor band
of shields, with roseate windows over (some blocked) with stained glass. Rear elevation with
projecting wing at stage end over undercroft, otherwise a five-bay composition with simplified
mullion and transom fenestration dominated by massive central stack flush with elevation and with
decorative brick detailing reflecting the fenestration pattern. Projecting buttresses between
Interior. First-floor hall with exposed timber-truss roof Proscenium and stage formed 1933 with
panelling donated 1934 by EdwardJeudwine (commemorated in central panel). The panelling to
the body of the hall thought to be 1949, contemporary with central entrance.
Highgate School was founded by Sir Roger Cholmely in 1565. This building commemorates its
expansion and reform on the original site by the Reverend Dr Dyne from 1845 onwards.
C AEvans and A Pwhite, 'The Story of Highgate School, 1938-1949', c.1950 S W Kitchener,
'Old Highgate, The Story of a London Village', n.d. M Seabourne, 'The English School. Its
Architecture and Organisation, 1370-1870', 1971.
Listing NGR: TQ2835487496
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings