This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2302 / 51°13'48"N
Longitude: 0.4676 / 0°28'3"E
OS Eastings: 572383
OS Northings: 150782
OS Grid: TQ723507
Mapcode National: GBR PRJ.YW8
Mapcode Global: VHJML.2B2S
Entry Name: Oast House Cottage and Weavers
Listing Date: 26 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431900
Location: Hunton, Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Civil Parish: Hunton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hunton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 75 SW HUNTON
2/59 Oast House Cottage
House, formerly oasthouse, now house. Early C17. Wing dated 1623.
Converted to oasthouse in C19. Restored in 1980s. Timber framed.
Chequered red and grey brick to ground floor of main range, first floor
rendered. Red brick in Flemish bond to ground floor of cross-wing,
exposed framing with plaster infilling to first floor. Rear section stone
on ground floor, weatherboarded above. Plain tile roofs. Main range of
approximately 3 timber-framed bays. Cross-wing to right of 3 timber-
framed bays, projecting to rear. Stair turret in angle between main range
and wing. Timber-framed section of one bay at right-angles to rear
of wing,parallel to and adjoining stair turret and possibly with C16 or
earlier core. Main range 2 storeys, wing 2 storeys and attic. Gable of
attic jettied on carved brackets to front and rear, with carved pendants
to tie-beam ends. Rear tie-beam carved. Front beam, bargeboards and
pendant formerly carved, now plain. Carved bargeboards and tie-beam to
stair turret. Multiple brick ridge stack to right end of main range.
Irregular fenestration of 4 windows; two 2-light casements and one 3-light
to main range, and one 12-light canted mullioned-and transomed C20 oriel
window with coved base to wing, re-using C17 mortices. Boarded door with
flat bracketed hood beneath stack, and boarded door with cambered head to
centre of gable end of wing. Wing formerly dated 1623 on carved gable-end
jetty bressumer. Interior: exposed framing. Former bargeboard embedded
in wall of wing. (K. Gravett, Timber and Brick Building in Kent, 1971.)
Listing NGR: TQ7238350782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings