This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5186 / 51°31'6"N
Longitude: -0.1641 / 0°9'50"W
OS Eastings: 527481
OS Northings: 181557
OS Grid: TQ274815
Mapcode National: GBR 79.BT
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.33M6
Plus Code: 9C3XGR9P+C9
Entry Name: Seymour Leisure Centre
Listing Date: 22 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428856
Location: Westminster, London, W1H
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Bryanston and Dorset Square
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Bryanston Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2781 NW, NE
42/118 & 43/118 .
Seymour Leisure Centre (includes Seymour Leisure Centre, Seymour Place)
Public baths and laundry, now leisure centre. 1935-37, by Kenneth Cross for St Marylebone Borough Council. Purple brick with red brick window architraves and Portland stone dressings; gabled Spanish tile roofs; brick ridge stacks. "Courtyard plan" with first-class swimming pool to centre. Renaissance "palazzo" style.
Two storey, fifteen-bay elevation to Bryanston Place. Revealed metal doors, in Art Deco style, set in three semi-circular arched stone architraves to centre; carved stone medallions to spandrels. Metal glazing bars in Art Deco style to all windows: semi-circular arched architraves to full-height ground floor windows, and square-headed rectangular first-floor windows, with three moulded stone architraves to centre. Modillioned stone cornice; bell cupola.
Similar eleven-bay elevation to Seymour Place; twelve-bay elevation to Shouldham Street has sashes set in square-headed architraves with sunk aprons; moulded stone door architrave to left and two similar but wider door architraves each surmounted by sash set in raised architrave with ramped sides and open stone pediment.
Interior: metal balustrades to staircases in entrance halls. Main (large) swimming pool is roofed over with reinforced concrete elliptical arches supporting windows of stepped section, directly derived from The Royal Horticultural Hall of 1927-8 but ultimately from European prototypes such as Freyssinet's Orly Airport Hangers, 1921-3.
The pool, built so as to convert into cinema, sports or meeting hall as desired, is surrounded by spectator galleries with metal balustrades and has proscenium feature to one end.
Listing NGR: TQ2748181557
Other nearby listed buildings