This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7348 / 52°44'5"N
Longitude: 0.2226 / 0°13'21"E
OS Eastings: 550162
OS Northings: 317558
OS Grid: TF501175
Mapcode National: GBR M2C.H30
Mapcode Global: WHJP4.DJ78
Plus Code: 9F42P6MF+W2
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264158
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428487
Location: Walpole, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE14
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Walpole
Built-Up Area: Walpole St Peter
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Walpole St Peter with St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WALPOLE ST. ANDREW KIRK ROAD
TF 51 NW
7/52 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. C15 with some re-used earlier details. Bequests date 1443
for nave, 1463 for porch, 1504 donation of lead. Restored 1811 and 1897.
Tower restored 1902. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Brick tower with
ashlar dressings, remainder rendered brick and ashlar. Lead roods. 3 stage
tower with angle buttresses to belfry. Arched west door below hood mould.
To left a cusped ogeed statuary niche, to right a lean to plain tiled chamber
built through buttress, probably an anchorite cell. Arched door to west,
lancet to north and 2-light cusped window to south in buttress. 2-light
Perpendicular panel tracery west window with embattled transom. String course
between ringing chamber and belfry. Cusped lancet to south. 2-light belfry
windows with ogee reticulation units. Crenellated parapet with ashlar corner
pinnacles. Stair tower to south-east entered through external arched door
and terminates in polygonal turret. Nave aisles supported by stepped
buttresses, angled at corners. 3 2-light arched and transomed aisle windows
north and south, the transoms with crenellations. Similar 2-light aisle west
windows and 3-light east windows. Gabled south porch with angle buttresses.
Arched moulded entrance with circular responds. Embattled parapet terminating
in panelled ashlar corner pinnacles enlivened by crockets and finials. Porch
with slate roof. Arched inner door with hood on labels. Low arched and
moulded north aisle door. Clerestory of 8 2-light renewed Perpendicular
windows between each of which rise pilaster strips interrupted by bell-moulded
annulations. Octagonal rood stair turrets to north and south with roll
moulded edges and spirelets. 3 bay chancel with stepped side buttresses,
angled to east. 3 3-light windows with cusped arches below panel tracery.
Crenellated parapet. 3-light east window of 1897 : wide central light ogeed
below indeterminate tracery pattern of general Perpendicular character.
Interior. 4 bay arcade of lozenge piers with continuous hollow mouldings
and rolls to north and south. Rolls continue as colonnettes to rise from
spandrels and apexes of arches framing clerestory windows and supporting wall
posts of C19 roofs. Roof of arched braces to moulded principals. 2 tiers
butt purlins and ridge piece. Tall stilted tower arch on polygonal responds.
Chancel arch on piers panelled to south. Round arched rood stairs north and
south, the latter below fan vaulted rood screen corbel. 2-light window over
chancel arch. Aisle roofs~as nave. Chancel with cusped piscina within square
surround and cusped spandrels. South nave chapel piscina composed of 4-
centred arch on engaged columns within fleuron studded square surround below
crenellated hood. Double aumbry in south nave wall, repeated on north. C17
tower gallery with balustrade supported on arched braces : turned balusters
below plain handrail. On hand rail cast iron palmettes and alternating
finials. Octagonal C15 font, the bowl carved in panels of quatrefoils and
shields. C17 pulpit with carved arcading and interlacing circles in top
frieze, the whole standing on sandstone plinth of C15. Over tower arch
painted Royal Arms of George III.
Listing NGR: TF5016217558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings