This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7366 / 52°44'11"N
Longitude: 0.3216 / 0°19'17"E
OS Eastings: 556837
OS Northings: 317973
OS Grid: TF568179
Mapcode National: GBR N3T.J3G
Mapcode Global: WHJP5.XG9W
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 11 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428440
Location: Tilney All Saints, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE34
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Tilney All Saints
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Tilney All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/06/2017
TILNEY ALL SAINTS,
Church of All Saints
Parish church. Late C12 nave and chancel, late C13 and C14 west tower, spire
1428. Nave and chancel aisles remodelled C15. Battlements added 1523-1525.
Barnack stone, partly rendered. 4-stage tower. Angle buttresses develop out
of polygonal corner turrets which terminate above crenellated parapet in
crocketted pinnacles. West door of four orders undercut mouldings below ogeed
hood. West window of three pointed lancets, each separated by pilaster strips.
Similar fenestration to north and south but with blind central light. 2-light
ogeed reticulated ringing chamber windows and 2-light belfry windows of
mouchette form. String courses divide storeys. Octagonal spire with gabled
lucarnes at base on alternate facets. Stepped buttresses to nave. Nave and
chancel continuous. South aisle with one 5-light square-headed window and
one 3-light arched Perpendicular window west of porch. East of porch six
straight-headed windows of 3 or 4 cusped lights run to chancel east end. Two
sloping brick C18 buttresses at intervals. Nave and chancel aisles parapeted.
South clerestory windows run as follows from west : encircled quatrefoil,
two 2-light square headed windows, three 3-light depressed arched C15 windows, in
chancel three 3-light square-headed windows. Gabled south porch with stepped side
buttresses. Arched outer door. One blocked triangular-headed side window
north and south. Late C13 inner doorway with column supporting naturalistic
foliage carving. East end of aisles without windows. Two flat clasping
buttresses of C12 date frame 5-light transomed C15 east window. Diagonal
buttresses at aisles and flat stepped north buttresses. Two eastern north aisle,
windows of 3-lights and cusped early Perpendicular tracery. These separated
by large sloping C18 brick buttress. Remainder of aisle of 3-light arched
panel tracery windows. Early C14 north door below plain 2-light square-headed
window. Clerestory of 2-light square headed form.
INTERIOR. C13 tower
connected to nave by one C14 bay with double chamfered arch. Tower arch of
quatrefoil piers with moulded circular bases and capitals supporting arch of
two hollow chamfers separated by a roll. Stilted west door arch. Two roll-moulded
stairway arches in thickness of western buttresses. West window lights shafted
on interior with wall passage. Ringing chamber floor survives. Late C12
7-bay arcade (extending 2 bays into chancel) of drum piers on water-holding bases
with waterleaf, scalloped or crocket capitals support rebated semi-circular
arches. Remarkable late C15 hammerbeam roof with two registers of hammers.
Alternate trusses drop on wall posts to corbels in form of angels bearing
scrolls. These angels immediately below statues of prophets in canopied niches.
Curved arched braces rise to wall plate. Secondary trusses have hammer beams
carved as angels with open books, main trusses have angels bearing tablets.
Upper, false, hammer beams with flight of winged angels bearing books and
tablets. One tier moulded butt purlins, moulded collars with struts to ridge
piece. C19 chancel hammerbeam roof with angels bearing shields. Moulded
purlins, principals and collars are C15 survivals. C15 stepped sedilia in
chancel south wall with cusped ogee heads to each bay below cornice. Cornice
continues east over similar piscina. Two blocked chancel windows on each side.
Chancel screen dated 1618. Two bays right and left of opening. Panelled dado
with top freize of scroll decoration. Pierced foliate heads to lights. Top
rail surmounted by paired balusters alternating with panelled obelisks. Below
these a freize of fretwork and dragons. 4-bay late C15 parclose screens to
chancel aisles with Perpendicular tracery and crenellated top rails. Handsome
C17 altar rails of arched bays divided by muntins against which are turned
balusters. Arches filled with circular and scrolled strapwork pierced panels.
C17 octagonal font with traceried stem and bowl decorated with alternating
biblical verses and geometric patterns. Painted Royal Arms to Queen Anne date
1711 at west end of south aisle within original frame. The frame with openwork
Listing NGR: TF5683717973
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings