This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5649 / 52°33'53"N
Longitude: -0.71 / 0°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 487540
OS Northings: 297121
OS Grid: SP875971
Mapcode National: GBR CSZ.1BW
Mapcode Global: WHGM6.2S6K
Entry Name: The Bell House
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Last Amended: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427726
Location: Lyddington, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Lyddington
Built-Up Area: Lyddington
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Lyddington St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
LYDDINGTON THE GREEN
10.11.55 No 4 (The Bell
listed as Home
House. Late C18, with later extensions to rear and right. Ironstone ashlar,
mostly of orange Lyddington stone but with brown Uppingham stone quoins, bands
and window surrounds. Collyweston slate roof, stone coped gables, flanking
ashlar chimneys with moulded cornices. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays.
First floor has 4-pane sashes with cambered stone lintels and keyblocks. Ground
floor has late C19 canted bay windows with hipped concrete tile roofs and
sashes. 2 C20 flat-roofed dormers with 3-light wooden casements. Central
6-panelled door with leaded rectangular fanlight, shaped flush keyblock and 2
semi-circular stone steps. Later C18 single storey extension to right, formerly
a stable, with hipped roof, 2 bays of C20 3-light barred wooden casements with
stone lintels and keyblocks, and blocked doorway with stone surround to left.
Attached to rear of this is a further outbuilding with slate roof, now a garage,
probably C19 but with re-sited tablet dated 1772. To left of main house is a
small extension with parapet. Rear of house has 2-panelled door to rear wing,
C19 lean-to in angle, and stone and half-timbered extensions attached to gable of
rear wing. Interior: left room on ground floor has large niches with 4-centred
arches flanking fireplace, and spine beam with quirked ogee mouldings. Former
stable has re-sited fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch and ashlar chimney.
Listing NGR: SP8754097121
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings