History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist (St John's Wood Chapel)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Regent's Park, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5306 / 51°31'50"N

Longitude: -0.1684 / 0°10'6"W

OS Eastings: 527143

OS Northings: 182886

OS Grid: TQ271828

Mapcode National: GBR 65.CH

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.1S9J

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist (St John's Wood Chapel)

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264852

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426776

Location: Westminster, London, NW8

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Regent's Park

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Johns Wood Church

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Maida Vale

Listing Text

TQ 2782 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER ST JOHN'S WOOD ROAD,
23/5 NW8
Church of St John the
Baptist (St John's Wood
10.9.54 Chapel)
G.V. II*
Church. 1813-14 by Thomas Hardwick built as chapel of ease for the developing
Portman and Eyre Estates in this area. Portland stone front and stone dressed
stock brick sides; leaded roof. Simple rectangle with narrower, lower, shallow
chancel. Chaste neo-classical chapel design dressed with tetrastyle portico
surmounted by columned cupola-bellcote.2 storeys (for galleries). 5 bay south
(ritual west) front. Central corniced doorway flanked by niches; outer bays
with plain square headed doorways (to gallery stairs) and semicircular arches.
1st floor windows recessed for 1 order. Plinths, sill band crowning cornice and
parapet. The centre screened by Ionic giant portico with entablature and
pediment containing clock face. The small stone domed cupola rises from octagonal
case and with detached pairs of Doric columns carrying breaks in the
entablature on the diagonals. Elegant original interior with Tuscan columns
carrying gallery above which "Tower of the Winds" columns rise to slightly
curved ceiling; white painted box pews and good collection of early C19 Grecian
wall monuments; etc. St John's was designed at the same time as Hardwick's
initial chapel of ease scheme at St Mary's, Marylebone Road q.v. which it
closely resembled before the elaboration of the latter's final form.


Listing NGR: TQ2714382886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.