This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1542 / 50°9'15"N
Longitude: -5.5929 / 5°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 143448
OS Northings: 34423
OS Grid: SW434344
Mapcode National: GBR DXK8.QXT
Mapcode Global: VH059.0DL3
Plus Code: 9C2P5C34+MR
Entry Name: Engine House at Sw 434346, Greenburrow Mine
Listing Date: 18 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426205
Location: Madron, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Madron
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gulval
Church of England Diocese: Truro
6/82 Engine House at SW 434346,
- Greenburrow Mine
Beam engine house. Circa mid-late C19. Granite ashlar bob wall, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings. Brick upper stage to chimney.
Plan: rectangular plan with round chimney clasping the rear left hand corner.
Dressed granite cylinder plinth in situ. Former pumping machinery, floors and roof removed. Square-on-plan walled enclosure round shaft.
Exterior: 3 storeys over low basement. Round-headed granite arched doorway to middle of front (bob) wall; round-headed doorway with partly fallen brick arch in rear wall with window opening to each floor above; irregularly disposed openings in each side wall and evidence for former extension to left hand wall. Moulded brick cornice to tapered chimney.
A major monument to the tin-mining industry, this mine went out of use in July 1877. This engine house is one of the most conspicuous landmarks in West cornwall, it lies within sight of Lanyon Quoit (AM) and serves as a landmark for fishermen.
Source: Trevithick Society
Listing NGR: SW4344834423
Other nearby listed buildings