This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9151 / 52°54'54"N
Longitude: -0.6911 / 0°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 488111
OS Northings: 336096
OS Grid: SK881360
Mapcode National: GBR DQ2.63K
Mapcode Global: WHGKG.CZ4M
Plus Code: 9C4XW885+2H
Entry Name: The Grange and Adjoining Boundary Wall and Stable
Listing Date: 14 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382836
Location: Barrowby, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Barrowby
Built-Up Area: Barrowby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barrowby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK8836 LOW ROAD
1315-0/13/30 (East side)
The Grange and adjoining boundary
wall and stable
House and attached boundary wall and stable. Dated 1656, with
additions c1715 and late C19. Coursed square stone and brick,
with brick and ashlar dressings and plain and pantile roofs,
some of them patterned. Various coped brick stacks, C19. Coped
gables. 2 storeys, and 2 storeys plus attics; 9 window range.
C19 windows are mainly wooden framed casememts with segmental
Off-centre brick facing gable has two C19 stone mullioned
2-light windows, and above, a corniced datestone, 1656. Below,
two similar 3-light windows, all with cornices.
To left, a late C19 block, rockfaced stone, with plinth, coped
gables and 2 valley stacks. 3-light window above and 2-light
window below, with cornices and chamfered mullions. Beyond, to
left, a boundary wall approx 10m long, with chamfered brick
coping and an off-centre Tudor arched oorway with cornice and
To right, a late C19 range with 3 ridge stacks. 2
through-eaves dormers with coped gables, alternating with 3
smaller windows. Below, a 2-light window flanked by larger
3-light windows. To left, a blocked doorway, and to right, a
2-light window. To right again, a single bay with a 2-light
window above, and 2 smaller 2-light windows below. Beyond, a
single storey stable and outbuilding with pantile roof, with a
2-light window and a hatch door.
Rear elevation has to right a gable with ashlar quoins, one
with the graffito "1785", corresponding to that dated 1656.
Late C19 fenestration, 3 windows, with a central canted bay
window on the ground floor. To right, late C19 rockfaced stone
gable, with a shallow 2 storey stone bay window, with a
4-light stone mullioned cross casement on each floor. In the
return angle, to left, a through-eaves dormer and below, a
single window, both stone mullioned cross casements. To left,
a coursed squared stone block with banded plain tile roof,
brick quoins, and 2 C19 through-eaves dormers. Below, a mid
C19 canted brick bay window with plain parapet and a large
wooden framed cross casement.
To left again, a C18 block, coursed squared stone, with brick
quoins, coped gables and off-centre ridge stack. Two C19
3-light windows, and to right, a similar larger window. Above,
2 off-centre through-eaves dormers with coped gables. Below, a
2-light French window, flanked to left by a smaller 2-light
window and to right by a C19 gabled brick porch with a
half-glazed door. At the left corner, a single bay addition,
c1900, with a hipped roof, canted corner and 4-light corner
window on the first floor.
Listing NGR: SK8810536056
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings