History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weeley, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8508 / 51°51'2"N

Longitude: 1.1264 / 1°7'34"E

OS Eastings: 615418

OS Northings: 221528

OS Grid: TM154215

Mapcode National: GBR TQ5.X60

Mapcode Global: VHLCR.GRV2

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265107

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425907

Location: Weeley, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Weeley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Weeley St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Weeley

Listing Text

WEELEY CHURCH LANE
TM 12 SE
5/160 Church of St. Andrew
17.11.66
GV II*

Parish Church. West tower C15/C16. Chancel, Nave, North vestry, North
Aisle and North Porch circa 1881, E.C. Robins. All of red brick with some black
diapering. The lower 10 feet of the tower of large bricks (11 1/4" x 5 1/4") the
upper part of normal Tudor bricks. Stone dressings to Victorian build. Red
tiled roof with ridge tiles. Chancel, stone east window of 3 lights, 4 centred
arch, moulded label, band under, buttresses to angles, 2 windows to south wall
of 2 transomed cinquefoiled lights with tracery over, 2 centred arches,
buttress between windows. North vestry, gabled to north with 2 doors to east
wall with a depressed ogeelight, under square head between, north transomed 2
light window quatrefoil over, 4 centred head and label. Staggered band under
follows through the lean-to north aisle with two 3 light windows under square
heads, those to east trefoiled ogees, buttresses. West window of 3 trefoiled
lights, segmental head and label. North gabled porch, brick plinth, timber
supports with tracery between, crenellated lintel, pierced bargeboards, coloured
tile floor, north doorway, chamfered 2 centred head, label, vertically boarded
door. Nave, south wall, three 3 light windows, 4 centred heads and labels,
buttresses between, band below, plinth with stone coping. Pierced stone
ventilators throughout. Stone parapet verges. West tower. Crenellated of 3
stages, western diagonal buttresses, south east angle stair turret with 2 loop
lights. Diapering to plinth. Brick western doorway has splayed jambs, 2 centred
arch of 2 moulded orders. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical
tracery, 4 centred head, label with head stops. North wall second stage
chamfered brick single 4 centred light. Each wall of bell chamber has a window
of two 4 centred lights with square heads and moulded labels. Interior not
inspected at time of re-survey but said to contain in the Chancel, C12 shaft of
Barnack stone with scalloped capital used as a Credence table. Font, C15
octagonal bowl with quatrefoiled sides enclosing shields and foliage, carved
flowers to moulded soffit, stem with traceried panels. 2 bells, first, circa
1400 by Robert Burford inscribed "Sce Michael" and "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro
Nobis". The second, circa 1500 by Thomas Bullisdon, inscribed "Sancta Edwarde
Ora Pro Nobis" and "Pray for Vyllam Brooke and Agnes his Wyff". 2 centred tower
arch of 3 chamfered orders dying onto plain responds.


Listing NGR: TM1541821528

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.