This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5128 / 51°30'46"N
Longitude: -0.1314 / 0°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 529762
OS Northings: 180976
OS Grid: TQ297809
Mapcode National: GBR GC.NW
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.N7WM
Plus Code: 9C3XGV79+4C
Entry Name: 22, Romilly Street W1
Listing Date: 23 November 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425884
Location: Westminster, London, W1D
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER ROMILLY STREET, W1
GV 23/11/78 II
Terraced house, built c.1700 as part of the Portland Estate. Original facing brick replaced in C20 (probably following bomb damage) by modern brick in Flemish Bond, with same depth to window reveals as the original. Roof parapeted. Four storeys over basement with area railings of authentic design. Three-window range, all windows on the upper floors are segmental arched with post- WWII casements. Architrave to flat-arched entrance to left; original panelled door; cornice above may be later. Shallow segmental bay to right of entrance is of C20 date as is the broad, gauged-brick window below. Inside, on ground and first floors, remarkable and near total survival of original ovolo moulded panelling, cornices and other features. Panelling continues to second floor stair landing, and is said to be intact, though built to a simpler design, on the upper floors. Original plan form intact with one room front and rear, closet projection and stair hall. Dog-leg open stair with turned balusters and newels in entrance range. Front room, ground floor originally entered by door which has been carefully filled in to match the panelling. Stack to east party wall; corner stack to right rear, that on the first floor with original mantlepiece. Between entrance hall and stair hall a flat diaphragm arch with panelled soffit carried on Tuscan pilasters and one triglyph block. Although no original sash frames remain, three windows to the rear suggest that some were of the solid framed and pegged type with fixed upper sashes. See closet windows, west wall, first and second floors and window to rear room first floor. The latter retains its original boxes for shutters. The Survey of London, Parish of St. Anne, Soho (volume 33 pages 203-4) dates Nos 21 and 22 to 1738-9. However, recent research suggests that an earlier date is possible.
Listing NGR: TQ2976280976
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings