This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0595 / 52°3'34"N
Longitude: 0.5387 / 0°32'19"E
OS Eastings: 574136
OS Northings: 243168
OS Grid: TL741431
Mapcode National: GBR PFK.YV6
Mapcode Global: VHJHK.9H3J
Entry Name: Stoke College
Listing Date: 19 December 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265211
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425727
Location: Stoke-by-Clare, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CO10
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Stoke-by-Clare
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke-by-Clare St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. STOKE BY CLARE Stoke College
TL 7443 26/428 19.12.61.
Stoke College was originally a Benedictine Convent of 1050 which was later augmented
by the transfer of canons from Clare Priory. In 1415 it was converted into a
college and was so used until its dissolution in 1534 when it became a mansion
and was granted to Sir John Cheke and Walter Mildmay, from whom it passed to
the Triggs family in 1557. Sir Gervase Elwes bought the manor and on his death
in 1705 it passed to his grandson, Sir Hervey Elwes, who died without issue in
1763, and was succeeded by his nephew, John Elwes, both of whom obtained noteriety
as misers. The College remained in the Elwes family until the present century
when it came into the posession of the Loch family. The house was altered in 1897
by Edwin Lutyns for Lord Lock who added the west court with billiard room and
bachelors wing. Lutyns also laid out the garden and built the garden wall with a
circular window opening. The present house is used as a school.
It is a C18 red brick building probably with vestiges of the old priory remaining.
These appear to be of the Chapel, now in the library and kitchen. 2 storeys.
The windows generally are double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in cased frames.
A raised brick band runs between the storeys. The south-west front has 2 wings
with 2 storeyed bow ends with 3 window range. The south- east front has 8 window
range (3 blocked on the 1st storey). The north-west front has a single storey
porch with a wood dooracse with Ionic pilasters and an open pediment. The roof
is tiled, with a modillion eaves cornice. The south-east front has 3 dormer
windows, 2 hipped and a semi-circular pediment to the centre dormer.
Listing NGR: TL7413643168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings