History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newstead Abbey and Adjoining Boundary Wall

A Grade I Listed Building in Newstead, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0784 / 53°4'42"N

Longitude: -1.1929 / 1°11'34"W

OS Eastings: 454162

OS Northings: 353770

OS Grid: SK541537

Mapcode National: GBR 8G4.56L

Mapcode Global: WHDG5.NW4D

Entry Name: Newstead Abbey and Adjoining Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425355

Location: Newstead, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG15

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Gedling

Civil Parish: Newstead

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Ravenshead

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Newstead

Listing Text

NEWSTEAD NEWSTEAD PARK
SK 55 SW
1/100 Newstead Abbey and
adjoining boundary
walls
14.5.52
G.V. I

Augustinian Priory. Established c.1165 by Henry III. Extended
and rebuilt, late C13. Prior's Lodgings, Great Hall and Dorter,
C15. Converted to a country house 1539 by Sir John Byron of
Colwick. Restored by George Gordon Byron c.1800. Extended and
restored by John Shaw for Colonel Wildman, 1819. Altered c.1862
forF.W. Webb. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar with plain
tile and slate roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths. String
courses and impost bands. Crenellated parapets. Coped gables,
some crow stepped. Rainwater heads initialled "w" and "1818".
10 side wall, 9 ridge and 4 gable stacks. 2 and 3 storeys.
Square plan around central cloister, with south-east and south-
west wings. West front has to left, west gable of Priory church,
late C13, 3 bays. Blind arcading, string courses, moulded
balustrade, pinnacles and gargoyles. 4 gabled buttresses each
with a gabled niche. Central doorway with hood mould and
trumeau, flanked to left by simpler doorway and to right by
restored double lancet. Above, central untraceried window
flanked by single blind traceried panels. Above again, central
gable with quadruple lancet flanked by single lancets. Above
again, niche with figure. To right, Priory west range, altered
early C18 and remodelled 1819. 6 bay arcade with 6 lancets. To
right, gabled buttressed porch with ogee doorway and beyond,
arcaded base to bow window. Above, 4 bay windows and bow window
to right. To right again, buttressed and crenellated Sussex
Tower, 4 stages, with round headed fenestration. Top stage has
multiple lancet openings in each side. South west range, C18,
raised early C19, C16 Gothic style, irregular L plan, 3 storeys,
8 bays long by 4 bays wide, has lancet windows, mostly with hood
moulds. Buttressed west side has similar lancets and 2 doors.
West side has open arcade and above, 6 lancets. To right,
opening containing door with margin lights. South side has to
left, octagonal kitchen, 1819, with pyramid roof and lantern
finial. To south and east, a triple lancet. To its right,
square tower, 3 stages, with lancets, mullioned and transomed
casements to south and in return angle. Balanced south facade,
1819, has central full height balustraded bay window flanked by
single gabled buttresses. Above them, traceried octagonal
stacks. 5 pairs of superimposed lancets and to right, doorway.
Above, 6 mullioned windows. Above again, central panel with
Arms. South east wing, early C19, Renaissance Revival style, L-
plan, has buttresses and crow stepped gables, South side has to
left, door, and to right, 2 storey square bay window. Above, to
left, canted oriel and to right, 2 lancets. Above, to left, a
dormer and 2 lancets. East front has central crenellated porch,
dated 1631 which was the former front porch removed from the
east front, with keystoned round headed doorway and iron gates,
flanked by single lancets. Beyond to left, 3 and to right,
single double lancets. Above, 5 lancets. Above, shouldered
shaped gable flanked by sinqle dormers. East front, C13,
remodelled 1818 and late C19, 10 bays, has to left, 2 storey
corner tower and to right, 2 storey north cloister. 2 gabled
buttresses. 6 lancets of various sizes. Beyond, to right,
parapeted bay window, 1905. Above, 10 traceried lancets. Above
again, 7 gabled dormers. Buttressed north side, 5 bays, has to
left, stair to door. To its right, 2 canted crenellated oriels
and a lancet. Above, 3 lancets and shaped gable with cross.
Cloister garth, remodelled 1818, 10 by 8 bays, has lancets and
ogee headed doorway. Crypt, late C13, 4 bays, has 3 octagonal
piers and chamfered rib vault. Parlour to north has single
central pier and similar vault. North cloister has 2 blocked
doorways, C13. Orangery has plaster frieze and late Cl7 style
plaster ceiling. Vaulted slype has chamfered and rebated C13
doorway with double shafts. Tudor arched doorway inserted.
Chapter house, C13, 3 bays, converted to chapel C16 and altered
c.1820 and c.1860. West door has triple shafts and ornamented
moulded head. Flanked by single paired moulded lancets with
plate tracery. Moulded rib vault has 2 ringed composite piers
with stiff leaf capitals. North, south and west sides have
trefoil headed blind arcades. East side has similar arcade
containing memorials to Webb family. Above, 2 memorial windows
by Hardman. Gallery to north has memorial window, 1864. South
cloister has blocked stair and central pointed recess containing
lavatorium. Dark entry, Becket Room and Plantagenet Room have
chamfered and keeled rib vaults with octagonal central piers.
Plantagenet Room has stiff leaf capital and late C19 Gothic style
fireplace. Southern undercroft has chamfered rib vault with 8
octagonal piers. Octagonal kitchen has rib vault. 4 Tudor
arched recessescontaining ranges and cupboards. Great Hall,
restored early C19, has panelled walls and arch braced roof with
figure corbels and shields. South end has C14 style traceried
oak screen, 1819, with central doors. Above, transom with Latin
inscription and pierced balustrade to Minstrels' Gallery. East
side has matching doorcase and central Tudor arched ashlar
fireplace with bracketed hood. Panelled gallery over west
cloister has to north ashlar newel stair with double lancet
containing C18 stained glass. Byron's bedroom and adjoining
dressing room have simple dado and cornice and C19 Gothic corner
fireplaces. Adjoining Prior's Oratory has C16 brick corner
fireplace and open lean-to roof. Gallery over north cloister has
Classical marble fireplace, mid C18, by Thomas Carter, with mask
boss. 2 star shaped ceiling bosses. Charles II room has painted
panelled ceilinq attributed to William Kent, c.1720. Mid C18
Classical marble corner fireplace. Other panelled and tapestried
bedrooms have 3 carved overmantels, early C16, from Colwick Hall.
Refectory, now saloon, has moulded low pitched roof and plaster
ceiling, c.1631, restored 1966. Classical marble fireplace
attributed to Thomas Carter. Principal rooms of south-west wing
have Cl7 panelling and overmantels. 3 fireplaces with terra-
cotta panels, mid C18, by William Collins. Outside, to north
west, late C19 boundary wall with crenellated coping. Square
summerhouse, gabled gateway and canted corner with seat. To
south east, balustraded garden wall with moulded coping and 2
stone seats. Approx. 10 M square.


Listing NGR: SK5416253770

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.