History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41-47, Portland Place W1

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5208 / 51°31'14"N

Longitude: -0.1458 / 0°8'45"W

OS Eastings: 528738

OS Northings: 181833

OS Grid: TQ287818

Mapcode National: GBR C9.F0

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.F18J

Entry Name: 41-47, Portland Place W1

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424604

Location: Westminster, London, W1B

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marylebone High Street

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Marylebone

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

CITY OF WESTMINSTER PORTLAND PLACE,Wl
TQ 2881 NE
45/40 (west side)
Nos 41 to 47 (odd)
10.9.54
G.V. II*
Large terraced 1st rate town houses. 1776-c1780 by James Adam, as a speculative
development with his brothers and John Elwes. Stock brick with channelled
stucco ground floors; slate roofs. Astylar elevations designed as part of a
symmetrical block with Nos 29 to 35 (odd) q.v. of which the centrepiece has
been rebuilt. 4 storeys including added attic storey (that of No 47 further
heightened) on basements. 3-window wide fronts, No 47 with long return to
Weymouth Street. Broad semicircular arched doorways adjoining to each pair;
panelled double doors, side lights in pannelled and enriched jambs with ram's
head cornice doorheads and fanlight overall. Recessed sashes, under flat gauged
arches to upper floors. Plat band finishing off ground floor stuccowork;
moulded stucco band over 1st floor and main cornice over 2nd floor; attic
cornice and blocking course, No 43 with balustraded parapet. Continuous cast
iron Grecian and scrolled balconies to 1st floor. Cast iron area railings with
urn or plumbed spike finials. Nos 43 and 45 retain interiors with fine Adam
features, delicate plasterwork, some inset panels and medallions, statuary
marble chimneypieces; stone geometrical staircases with wrought or cast iron
anthemion and panel balustrades; etc. No 47 has LCC plaque commemorating
residence of Field Marshal Lord Roberts from 1901 to 1906.


Listing NGR: TQ2873881833

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.