History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Laurence

A Grade II Listed Building in Warslow and Elkstones, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1249 / 53°7'29"N

Longitude: -1.8724 / 1°52'20"W

OS Eastings: 408635

OS Northings: 358640

OS Grid: SK086586

Mapcode National: GBR 361.1FP

Mapcode Global: WHCDJ.6QM8

Entry Name: Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424161

Location: Warslow and Elkstones, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK17

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Warslow and Elkstones

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Warslow with Elkstone

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Warslow

Listing Text

SK 05 NE WARSLOW AND ELKSTONES C.P. WARSLOW

4/151 Church of St. Laurence

1/2/67
- II

Parish Church. 1820 with additions of 1908 by Lynam and Sons. Rough
faced ashlar with rusticated ashlar quoins to nave, porch and tower;
clay tile roofs with coped verges on kneelers. 2 bay chancel; 4 bay
nave; South transept; North vestry. South porch; West tower; mainly
round headed windows and doors. Chancel: roll moulded windows:
tripartite East window with raised keys and bracketed sill; circular
light above with re-set datestone of 1631 over; buttresses to each side
of East window. Nave: windows have raised keys, imposts and sills;
moulded cornice and plain parapet. Door with rusticated surround to
gabled South Porch dated 1970. South transept has 2 lights to South
and lunette above dated 1908 on sill. West tower of 3 stages; West
door with rusticated surround, square windows to ground floor; crenellated
parapet and corner finials. Interior: Very wide round headed chancel
arch with roll moulding, springing from moulded corbels; widely splayed
pointed doorway to West tower. Plaster ceiling to nave with central
roundel and suspended brass chandalier; open timber roof to chancel of
2 collars with raking struts in between braced from the upper collar;
tie beam is braced from the wallplate. Fittings: Early C19 wooden
West gallery; Romanesque font; roughly circular bowl with 4 roughly
moulded strips attached; box pew in S.E. corner of nave and bench pews,
all early C19; North and South windows of Chancel have decorative
mosaic surrounds; 1 stained glass window of 1880 and 1 of 1920 both in
nave, East window is 1910.


Listing NGR: SK0863558640

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.