This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5074 / 51°30'26"N
Longitude: -0.141 / 0°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 529114
OS Northings: 180356
OS Grid: TQ291803
Mapcode National: GBR DF.JT
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.HCTS
Entry Name: 157-160, PICCADILLY W1 (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 30 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423860
Location: Westminster, London, W1J
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PICCADILLY W1
81/66 (south side)
30-5-72 Nos. 157 to 160 (consec.)
(including Nos. 1 to 3
(cons.) Arlington Street)
Large bank and office block. 1921 by Curtis Green. Stone faced, slate roof Imperial classicism. 4 main storeys, attic storey and steep, dormered mansard. 3 wide bays. Ground floor, including mezzanine, rusticated with 2 plain central Doric piers supporting large semi-circular arched openings with scrolled keystones; bronze window-frames and mezzanine glazing screened by ornate wrought-iron work. Central entrance with secondary doorway to right. A giant order of fluted Corinthian columns, coupled each side of centre, articulate the vertically linked and set-back painted metal windows and aprons and support a deep entablature. Plainer attic storey with pilaster strips flanking 3 windows. 4 dormers with pediments in roof Similar but plainer return to Arlington Street with giant order of Doric pilasters. INTERIOR: Rich and intact banking hall of unusually high quality .Vaulted ceiling carried on Tuscan Doric columns. To the rear, a pair of side stairs rising to a gallery .Oriental scheme of interior decoration: red lacquer columns, U -shaped run of counters in black and gold, striking marble pavement in black and white. Counter screens not original. Original light-fittings with later attachments.
Awarded RIBA bronze medal in 1922.
Listing NGR: TQ2912080348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings