This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9099 / 53°54'35"N
Longitude: -1.5263 / 1°31'34"W
OS Eastings: 431218
OS Northings: 446071
OS Grid: SE312460
Mapcode National: GBR KRS7.C5
Mapcode Global: WHC8T.JZFH
Entry Name: Harewood Bridge
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265837
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423422
Location: Harewood, Leeds, LS17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kirkby Overblow
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Weeton with North Rigton and Stainburn
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
HAREWOOD HARROGATE ROAD
2/99 Harewood Bridge
Road-bridge over the river Wharfe. c 1729 (Pevsner, p247) widened c 1771 by John
Carr who was Surveyor of Bridges from 1761 to 1772 (Colvin, p192). Finely-dressed
stone. 4 segmental arches separated by 3 sharply-pointed cutwaters with angled caps.
The soffit has 2 separate spanning arches. East side: arches have chamfered
voussoirs and are of 2 orders. Above cutwaters are slightly projecting piers.
Band and parapet. West side: arches have flush unchamfered voussoirs and have
clearly been added to the eastern bridge in order to increase the road width. The
abutments splay out at each end. The central eastern pier has on its inner face
2 metal plaques marking the parish boundaries of "DUNKESWICK" and "HAREWOOD", whilst
the top of the parapet has incised "MAX 79".
H. Colvin, Dictionary of British Architects, (1978). N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West
Listing NGR: SE3122246084
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings