History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lymm Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lymm, Warrington

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3793 / 53°22'45"N

Longitude: -2.4759 / 2°28'33"W

OS Eastings: 368439

OS Northings: 387041

OS Grid: SJ684870

Mapcode National: GBR CY4C.SB

Mapcode Global: WH98S.YB56

Entry Name: Lymm Hall

Listing Date: 24 January 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1265849

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423796

Location: Lymm, Warrington, WA13

County: Warrington

Civil Parish: Lymm

Built-Up Area: Lymm

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Lymm St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Warburton

Listing Text

SJ 68 NE LYMM C.P. RECTORY LANE
(east side)

2/68 Lymm Hall

24/1/1950

GV II*

Hall, late C16, heavily restored, extended and the interior largely
rebuilt mid and late C19. Buff coursed sandstone to front and right
side, stone-dressed brick to rear. Graded slate roofs with stone
chimneys. 2 storeys plus attics. North front: E-shaped; balustraded
porch has segmental vault with nailed, boarded oak door at rear; a
3-light mullioned and transomed window to each side; recessed sashes
in 2-light mullioned openings to upper storey of central portion;
plain parapet rises in 2 steps to projecting gabled wings which have
3-light mullioned windows with recessed sashes to lower storey,
3-light mullioned and transomed windows to upper storey and a
single-light window to attic in each gable. West side has recessed
sashes in 2-light mullioned openings to lower storey; projecting
lateral chimney with corbel-table below parapet and 3 attached square
flues; inserted or restored canted 4-light oriel behind chimney. The
rear 2 metres of the west face project slightly. The (probably mid
C17) south front of red-brown brick on 1 metre flush stone plinth,
irregular in plan, has flush-mullioned window openings under labels,
informally disposed; recessed gable of 1 window, left, central
portion of 3 windows (including stair window); right gable has
2-storey canted bay window with sashes in 4-light mullioned openings.
Victorian wing (Jacobean-classical) right of south front has mullioned
bow containing French window with sidelights under a balustraded Doric
cornice. A C19 service wing masks the east side of house.
Interior: Apart from 3 ovolo oak beams in hall, and an early C19
stair with trellis balustrade, no visible pre-victorian features
survive.


Listing NGR: SJ6843987041

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.