History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Lymm, Warrington

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3772 / 53°22'37"N

Longitude: -2.4785 / 2°28'42"W

OS Eastings: 368265

OS Northings: 386810

OS Grid: SJ682868

Mapcode National: GBR CY4D.62

Mapcode Global: WH98S.WCYT

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 24 January 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423762

Location: Lymm, Warrington, WA13

County: Warrington

Civil Parish: Lymm

Built-Up Area: Lymm

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Lymm St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Warburton

Listing Text

SJ 68 NE LYMM C.P. CHURCH LANE
(south side)

2/41 Church of St.Mary the
Virgin

24/1/1950
II

Church 1850-2 by John Dobson, west tower rebuilt 1888-90 by
J.S.Crowther. Buff sandstone (coursed in tower, tooled squared rubble
elsewhere). Aisled nave of 5 bays, north porch, transepts, chancel,
vestry, 3-stage battlemented west tower with diagonal buttresses.
Perpendicular west window and paired bell-openings with panel tracery.
3-light Perpendicular aisle windows under camber-arches; triple
trefoil-headed lancets to clerestory; geometrical windows and
diagonal buttresses to transepts; geometrical east windows,
Perpendicular window to vestry/sacristy.
Interior: Nave arcades have octagonal piers; arch-braced trusses to
roof. Collar-beam trusses to transepts, panelled roof to chancel.
Galleries in transepts. Stained glass west window 1853, east window
1865 (in memory of Rector), 3 south aisle windows by Wailes, 1 north
aisle window by Kempe. Octagonal stone font, probably mid C17; plain
panelled oak pulpit 1623. Supposed Roman altar (in preserved medieval
Decorated niche in south aisle), but with IW (John Warburton?) carved
on head and horseshoe motif on each side of stone. Monuments:
W.Domville 1686; John Leigh 1806 and wife 1819; tablets to members of
Fox family early C19. Hatchments in tower.


Listing NGR: SJ6826586810

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.