This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5068 / 51°30'24"N
Longitude: -0.1331 / 0°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 529663
OS Northings: 180298
OS Grid: TQ296802
Mapcode National: GBR GG.81
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.ND08
Entry Name: The Travellers Club
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422825
Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PALL MALL, SW1
82/61 (south side)
5.2.70 No. 106: The Travellers'
Gentlemen's Club. 1828-32 by Charles Barry. Stucco faced with rusticated
stone quoins and eaves cornice, low pitch Roman tile roof. Epoch-making,
astylar, Italian Renaissance palazzo design, the first of Barry's clubs. 2
tall storeys on podium-basement. 5 windows wide. Entrance in right hand
bay, approached by flight of steps, tall architraved doorway with narrow
panelled jambs and scrolled consoles carrying bold dentilled cornice.
Recessed glazing bar sashes, those on ground floor in slightly eared
architraves rising from pedestal course with apron panels flanked by
consoles below and pulvinated friezes and moulded cornices above; those on
1st floor in fluted Corinthian pilastered and pedimented aedicules also
rising from a pedestal-course with panelled pedestals flanking open
balustrading in front of lower part of windows underlined by the
guilloche-enriched ground floor cornice. Richly modelled Roman eaves
cornice dentilled and modillioned and with lion-head stops to the cymatium.
Stone balustrade to area raised on high double plinth, the dies surmounted
by fluted iron lampstandards with "tazza" burners. Garden front, with
smooth faced rustication to ground floor and mock-coursing to 1st floor,
quoins etc., has 1:3:1 window grouping; vermiculated and rusticated
surrounds to ground floor windows; 1st floor windows have shell ornamented
tympana to their archivolt arched recesses flanked by Corinthian fluted
pilasters and pierced mock Venetian balconettes. This front is finished
off with a rich Vignolesque entablature and rising above this southern
pitch of the roof is a former smoking-room belvedere added by Barry in
1842-43 with arcaded fenestration and flanking panels and niches; large
chimney stacks composed of 5 shafts united by entablature. Fine interior
organised about open Italianate cortile behind which is the staircase
surmounted by small dome with Raphaelesque decorative painting by F. Sang;
principal room is the tripartite library, behind 1st floor of garden front,
with pairs of dividing columns and cast of Bassae frieze; ground floor
coffee-room similarly tripartite with pillars, etc.; the interior
decoration principally of 1843.
Survey of London; Vol. XXIX.
Listing NGR: TQ2966880289
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings