This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5066 / 51°30'23"N
Longitude: -0.1335 / 0°8'0"W
OS Eastings: 529636
OS Northings: 180277
OS Grid: TQ296802
Mapcode National: GBR GG.63
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.MDSD
Entry Name: The Reform Club
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422824
Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PALL MALL, SW1
82/66 (south side)
5.2.70 No. 104: The Reform
Gentlemen's Club, 1837-41 by Charles Barry. Portland stone ashlar, with
rusticated quoins, low pitched tiled roof. The mature accomplishment of
Barry's palazzo style first introduced by him at the Travellers' Club next
door. 2 main storeys and attic storey, on podium-basement. 9 windows wide
with 8-window west return and garden elevation repeating entrance front.
Central entrance, approached by flight of steps, has tall, Peruzzi-inspired
Roman doorway with eared architrave and carved jambs, rich double consoles
supporting dentilled and modillioned cornice-hood. Recessed original
casement windows, those on ground floor in architraves rising from
pedestal-course with console-flanked apron panels below and consoled
cornices above; the 1st floor windows treated as Ionic columned and
pedimented aedicules also rising from pedestal-course with shallow, console
bracketed balustered balconettes, their bases as forward breaks in the
ground floor cornice; architraved attic casements with sills breaking from
sill course; the whole front finished off with a finely carved great Roman
eaves cornice carried all the way round. Tall panelled chimney stacks with
bracketed cornices. Stone balustrade to area raised on rusticated plinth
with 2 iron lampstandards surmounting the dies flanking steps. To left is
a slightly recessed 2 storey, 1-window wide extension with rusticated
semicircular arched doorway and 1st floor balustrade to set back 1st floor.
The grand club interior also conceived in the Italian manner, organised
about a central almost square saloon "cortile" with coved glazed roof, the
ambulatories on both floors screened by a 2 storey peristyle with
Corinthian yellow marble columns above Ionic ground floor ones; Italian
Renaissance staircase rising between solid walls to return in 2 flights;
magnificent library behind the garden front divided into 3 sections by
columns; morning room with half-size copy of the Parthenon frieze;
splendidly rich colour scheme; much of original furniture as designed by
Barry etc. (Loose items of furniture not covered by listing.) Following the Travellers'
Club, a most influential design.
Survey of London; Vol. XXIX.
Listing NGR: TQ2963780274
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings