History in Structure

Stables Approximately 200 Metres to South West of Harewood House

A Grade I Listed Building in Harewood, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.8949 / 53°53'41"N

Longitude: -1.5283 / 1°31'41"W

OS Eastings: 431096

OS Northings: 444401

OS Grid: SE310444

Mapcode National: GBR KRRD.XK

Mapcode Global: WHC90.HCGG

Plus Code: 9C5WVFVC+WM

Entry Name: Stables Approximately 200 Metres to South West of Harewood House

Listing Date: 30 March 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422871

ID on this website: 101266160

Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS17

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Harewood

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Collingham St Oswald with Harewood

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Stable

Find accommodation in


SE3144 LS14

Stables approx 200
14/76 metres to south-west
of Harewood House


Stable block now restaurant, shop and study centre. 1755-58 by John Carr
(Linstrum p 74) for Edwin Lascelles of Gawthorp Hall based on a design by Carr
dated 1748; his father, Robert Carr, was Clerk of Works. Ashlar,Westmorland
green-slate roof. A square quadrangular building with an internal colonnade.
Palladian style. 2 storeys. 11 x 11 bays, each facade symetrical. Quoins.
Ashlar plinth and 1st-floor band which forms impost band in outer bays. North
entrance and east facades more architectural. North facade: 1, 3, 3, 3, 1 bays;
central 3 bays break forward and are articulated by giant engaged Tuscan columns
distyle in antis, each with 2 rusticated bands; archivolt-arched entrance with
rusticated keystone and impost bands; triangular pediment broken by taller
central bay set forward with rusticated panels flanking central blind plaque;
triangular pediment surmounted by heavy finial and finial to angles of pediment
of flanking bays which have recessed panel to each floor. Outer bays break
forward, have rusticated quoins and archivolt-arched recess with rusticated
keystone, blind ground-floor window with arch partly glazed; cornice and shaped
parapet with corner finials but lacking apex finial. Bays 2, 3, 4 and 8, 9, 10,
have blind window recesses with square 6-pane fixed lights above. Hipped roof
with ridge stacks to east, west and south ranges. Rear and returns similarly
fenestrated with corner projecting bays and central projecting 3 bays under
triangular pediment with finials but with 3 blind window recesses with 3 square
windows above. Eastern wing (visible from house) more decoratively treated has
central 3 bays breaking forward and central projecting bay with rusticated quoins,
with, at 1st floor, lunette with rusticated voussoirs and keystone, pedimented
gable with quoins carried up into tympanum surmounted by finial. Tall north
entrance leads through to inner courtyard has within the re-entrant angles door-
ways with rusticated keystones, flat ceiled with moulded cornice. Inner courtyard:
7 x 7 bay ranges except north entrance range of 9 bays, this has central projecting
bay with rusticated quoins, arched entrance with keystone and impost band,
triangular pediments; bays 3 and 7 have similar arched recess, other bays have 24-
pane sash windows with raised surrounds and 2-light flat-faced mullioned windows
with recessed mullion above. Other ranges have central projecting bay with
rusticated quoins, Diocletian window, triangular pediment, with on 3 sides a
colonnade of coupled Tuscan columns.

Whittaker (p168) attributed the stables to Sir William Chambers and Pevsner (p247)
too gives the same atribution regarding them as chambers first independent work
c 1755-6. It is known that Lascelles commissioned a design for the proposed house
and stables from Chambers in 1755 and the design for the stable still exists
illustrated by Harris (plate 43) but this heavily rusticated over-elaborate design
was never executed. Mauchline (p24) and Linstrum (p 74) agree that the stables
are by John Carr and point to the existence of an engraving, "A perspective view
of the stables at Gawthorp. Built by Edwin Lascelles Esq 1748", signed "J. Carr,"
which was engraved from a drawing by William Lindley, Carr's pupil (Wakefield Art
Gallery), which seems to settle this long-confused point. Mauchline (p23) gives
convincing evidence however that the stables were not begun until 3 April 1755.
The stables are important in as much as they were an exercise in building by
Lascelles 4 years prior to the building of Harewood House (q,v.),and he could
consider the work of Carr and that of the Muschamp family who were the master
masons, the head joiner James Sanderson and the leadwork of Mr. Rhodes(both
estate workers) - he was happy to employ them all in the construction of
Harewood House. J. Harris, Sir William Chambers: Knight of the Polar Star,
(1970) p40, pls. 43-5. D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture
(1978). M. Mauchline, Harewood House, (1974). N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West
Riding (1974). Wakefield Art Gallery and Museums, Drawings and engravings
illustrative of the County of York, x, pl. 7. T.D. Whittaker, Loidis and Elmete,

Listing NGR: SE3109644401

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.