This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5071 / 51°30'25"N
Longitude: -0.1269 / 0°7'36"W
OS Eastings: 530091
OS Northings: 180352
OS Grid: TQ300803
Mapcode National: GBR HF.NX
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RC8Z
Plus Code: 9C3XGV4F+V6
Entry Name: Trafalgar Buildings
Listing Date: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266434
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421608
Location: St. James's, Westminster, London, WC2N
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3080 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER NORTHUMBERLAND AVENUE, SW1
83/38 (south side)
Offices; former grand hotel. 1881-82 by F and H Francis. Stone, slate roofs.
Large "Second Empire" palatial hotel block with quadrant return to Whitehall.
5 storeys and dormered mansard with 2 Trench square dome pavilion-roofs. 9 bays
wide continued by 5-bay quadrant corner. Ground floor has central archivolt
arched entrance and altered shop fronts articulated by polished granite
pilasters carrying entablature. Upper floors have architraved windows, as
tripartite sashes to pavilions and to centre range on 1st and 2nd floors, with
cornices. Bowed window to centre on 2nd floor. The 2nd and 3rd floors
articulated by giant pilaster order supporting main entablature; attic storey
with 3 architraved Diocletian windows in line with pavilion roofs and to
corner; stone pedimented dormers linked by balustrade with full 2nd attic
storeys of 3 windows, the central one pedimented, above which rise the square domes
each pierced by oeil-de-boeuf. Prominent corner site in relation to Trafalgar
Square. Northumberland Avenue was opened in 1876 and became a street of grand
hotels in the 1880s.
Listing NGR: TQ3009180352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings