History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Compton Undermount

A Grade II Listed Building in Ventnor, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.599 / 50°35'56"N

Longitude: -1.1864 / 1°11'11"W

OS Eastings: 457674

OS Northings: 78016

OS Grid: SZ576780

Mapcode National: GBR 9F5.6W7

Mapcode Global: FRA 87DH.3ML

Entry Name: Compton Undermount

Listing Date: 15 July 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266777

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420595

Location: Ventnor, Isle of Wight, PO38

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Ventnor

Built-Up Area: Ventnor

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Bonchurch St Boniface

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Ventnor

Listing Text

BONCHURCH VILLAGE ROAD
1.
5271
(South Side)
Compton Undermount
SZ 5778 1/53
SZ 5777 2/53

II

2.
Undermount was originally a farmhouse of C17/C18 origin, recased as "cottage orné"
circa 1820-30 with subsequent alterations. Compton was an addition of 1857 and
is now a separate property. The whole forms a picturesque composition with
Gothic and Jacobean details. Undermount is of 2 storeys stone rubble, stucco
faced on south front. Paired and single gables with cusped open work bargeboards
over 1st floor casements. Large, shallow, stone mullioned oriel to right hand of
3 centred arched doorway with carved spandrels and dripmould extended over side
lights. Compton, the 1857 extension, is of 2 taller storeys and attic, stone
rubble, ashlar dressings with Dutch gables and external stacks with paired Tudor
chimneys. Weathered strings and copings to gables. Stone mullioned windows.
Part of this 1857 extension abutts Undermount and is linked to main block by
glazed and rendered section with buttresses. The west front is largely taken up
by one end of a conservatory-winter garden, circa 1857, with close set panes and
raised ridge, canted west end. A staircase with Tudor style balustrade returned
to terrace, leads down from large 3 light stone mullioned-transomed French window,
dripmould over. South garden front of Compton has Dutch gable and tall 2 storey
canted stone mullioned bay window. Undermount on this front has 3 irregular
stepped gables; rendered front with small oriel windows to attic, later rectangular
bay windows with mullioned Tudor arched lights. The houses are reached through a
tunelled drive in a rock outcrop of the Undercliff.

In the above entry the descriptive notes should be amended as follows :

2.
Undermount was originally a farmhouse of C17/C18 origin, recased as "cottage orné"
circa 1820-30 with subsequent alterations. Compton was an addition of 1857 and
is now a separate property. The whole forms a picturesque composition with Gothic
and Jacobean details. Undermount is of 2 storeys stone rubble, stucco faced on
south front. Paired and single gables with cusped open work bargeboards over 1st
floor casements. Large, shallow, stone mullioned oriel to right hand of 3 centred
arched doorway with carved spandrels and dripmould extended over side lights.
Compton, the 1857 extension, is of 2 taller storeys and attic, stone rubble, ashlar
dressings with Dutch gables and external stacks with paired Tudor chimneys. Weathered
strings and copings to gables. Stone mullioned windows. Part of this 1857 extension
abutts Undermount and is linked to main block by glazed and rendered section with
buttresses. The west front is largely taken up by one end of a conservatory-winter
garden, circa 1857, with close set panes and raised ridge, canted west end. Inside
the conservatory a staircase with Tudor style balustrade returned to terrace, leads
down from large 3 light stone mullioned-transomed French window, dripmould over.
South garden front of Compton has Dutch gable and tall 2 storey canted stone mullioned
bay window. Undermount on this front has 3 irregular stepped gables; rendered front
with small oriel windows to attic, later rectangular bay windows with mullioned
Tudor arched lights. The houses are reached through a tunelled drive in a rock
outcrop of the Undercliff. The tunelled drive and the wing known as Compton of
1857 were built by the then owners of Undermount, Sir John and Lady Pringle, to
receive Queen Victoria. Lady Pringle was a friend of the Queen and had been one
of her bridesmaids. The wing contains a vast music room with an elaborate ceiling
decorated in the Italian manner with a circular Wedgewood plaque in the centre.
(The only other example of this plaque is at Windsor). Above the music room, two
bedrooms were provided for the Queen and her Lady-in-Waiting.

----------------------------------------------

BONCHURCH VILLAGE ROAD
1.
5271
(South Side)
Compton Undermount
SZ 5778 1/53
SZ 5777 2/53
II
2.
Undermount was originally a farmhouse of C17/C18 origin, recased as "cottage orné"
circa 1820-30 with subsequent alterations. Compton was an addition of 1857 and
is now a separate property. The whole forms a picturesque composition with Gothic
and Jacobean details. Undermount is of 2 storeys stone rubble, stucco faced on
south front. Paired and single gables with cusped open work bargeboards over 1st
floor casements. Large, shallow, stone mullioned oriel to right hand of 3 centred
arched doorway with carved spandrels and dripmould extended over side lights.
Compton, the 1857 extension, is of 2 taller storeys and attic, stone rubble, ashlar
dressings with Dutch gables and external stacks with paired Tudor chimneys. Weathered
strings and copings to gables. Stone mullioned windows. Part of this 1857 extension
abutts Undermount and is linked to main block by glazed and rendered section with
buttresses. The west front is largely taken up by one end of a conservatory-winter
garden, circa 1857, with close set panes and raised ridge, canted west end. A
staircase with Tudor style balustrade returned to terrace, leads down from large
3 light stone mullioned-transomed French window, dripmould over. South garden
front of Compton has Dutch gable and tall 2 storey canted stone mullioned bay window.
Undermount on this front has 3 irregular stepped gables; rendered front with small
oriel windows to attic, later rectangular bay windows with mullioned Tudor arched
lights. The houses are reached through a tunelled drive in a rock outcrop of the
Undercliff.

Listing NGR: SZ5767478016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.