History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wallingwells Hall and Service Wing

A Grade II Listed Building in Wallingwells, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.351 / 53°21'3"N

Longitude: -1.1414 / 1°8'28"W

OS Eastings: 457253

OS Northings: 384129

OS Grid: SK572841

Mapcode National: GBR NYGP.PH

Mapcode Global: WHDF1.F1QD

Entry Name: Wallingwells Hall and Service Wing

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Last Amended: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420433

Location: Wallingwells, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Wallingwells

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Woodsetts St George

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

SK 58 SE WALLINGWELLS WALLINGWELLS
HOUSE LANE
(West side)

4/174 Wallingwells Hall
and Service Wing
(Formerly listed
30.11.66 as WallingWells)

G.V. II

Country House, now divided into 7 dwellings. Early C17, early
C18, 1828, altered 1926. Irregular rectangular plan. Coursed
rubble, ashlar, brick and render with slate hipped roofs. East
front. Render over all to all but the left brick bay, ashlar
dressings. Roof hidden by 4 ashlar coped gables. 7 irregularly
dispersed red brick and render stacks. Set on a chamfered ashlar
plinth. 2 storeys plus attic, 7 bays. First floor sill band.
Each of the outer gabled bays projects and is flanked by a single
projecting, embattled, square turret/buttress. The gables,
parapet and turrets are coped with ashlar, running under is an
ashlar band. Central 1828 porch with 2 slightly projecting
embattled turrets to both front and rear and shaped gable.
Tudor-style arched doorway with double wooden panelled door under
hood mould with floret label stops and blind tracery spandrels.
The inner doorway has the remains of an early C18 door-head with
slightly projecting hood. Either side are 3 low glazing bar
sashes with similar hood moulds and label stops. Between the 2
outer right sashes is a doorway with C20 glazing bar door. Above
are 7 glazing bar sashes with similar hood moulds and label
stops. In each gable apex is an ashlar cross pattern arrow loop.
South side. Rendered with slightly projecting ashlar quoins to
the central 4 bays. Ashlar coped parapet with ashlar band under.
Two and a half storeys, 6 bays. The projecting central 4 bays
are topped with a pediment. At the outer edges of this front are
single turrets similar to those of the east front. First floor
sill band to the outer single bays, which have no openings. 2
central low glazing bar sashes with ashlar surrounds and
keystones. Flanked by single recessed porches with similar
surrounds, each having an inner doorway with part glazed door,
marginal lights and overlight. Above are 4 similar, smaller
sashes, with 4 similar, smaller sashes on the top floor. West
front, former entrance front. Rendered brick with ashlar quoins
and ashlar coped parapet. 3 rendered stacks. 3 storeys, 7
bays. Central recessed bay containing a large tripartite window
with low glazing bar sashes under a segmental arch. To the right
is a projecting wood and glazed porch with inner glazed double
door and overlight. To the left a recessed porch with outer
doorway with ashlar surround and inner doorway with part glazed
door, overlight, and single marginal lights. Either side are 2
glazing bar sashes in ashlar staff moulded surrounds. Above, in
the central bay is a central glazing bar sash, flanked by single
narrower, similar sasahes. All with similar surrounds and
slightly projecting hoods. Either side are 3 similar glazing bar
sashes and surrounds and above are 6 similar, smaller sashes and
surrounds. Attached to the right of the east front are 3
cottages, formerly the service wing. Rendered with slate roof,
interrupted on the left by a stone coped gable and kneeler, with
coped right gable and kneeler. 4 rendered stacks. Single
storey, plus attic to the right cottage, 10 bays, with irregular
and altered openings. Interior. There was a galleried hall in
the now south east house, with a possible late C17 ceiling. In
the south west is some early C17 timber. There are a number of
C18and C19 fireplaces. On moated site of former Benedictine
priory founded mid C12, dissolved 1539. Passed through various
owners until purchased by Major Samuel Taylor 1698. Remained in
Taylor/White family until 1919. Divided in 1926. Some remains
of the medieval structure probably incorporated in the present
house.


Listing NGR: SK5725384129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.