This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5043 / 51°30'15"N
Longitude: -0.1258 / 0°7'33"W
OS Eastings: 530173
OS Northings: 180040
OS Grid: TQ301800
Mapcode National: GBR HG.XX
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RGV4
Plus Code: 9C3XGV3F+PM
Entry Name: Royal United Services Institute
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207616
Location: Westminster, London, SW1A
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3080 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1
Royal United Services
Institute. 1893-95 by Aston Webb and Ingress Bell. Portland stone front,
in keeping with Banqueting Hall, and rear of yellow brick with stone dressings,
slate roof. Free Baroque with restrained, relatively small scale detailing.
4 storeys. 4 windows wide with a polygonal turret crowned by small cupola to
corner of south return; narrow, recessed, one bay link with Banqueting Hall.
Rusticated ground floor and banded 1st floor forming podium with central
shallow relief Gibbs surround doorway. Recessed glazing bar sashes; 1st
floor windows with banding broken forward over their architraves and bowed
sills and aprons; 2nd floor windows semicircular arched with enriched keys
and framed by Ionic pilasters carrying dosserets and steep open pediments;
3rd floor architraved windows have coupled lights with dividing colonettes and
pilaster jambs. 1st floor plat band; cornice and pseudo-parapet to 2nd floor
and sill band to 3rd floor, both framed by spaced quoining; deep frieze
carved in relief with badges and putti; bracketed main cornice and balustraded
parapet. The polygonal turret has banding and rustication as on front, the
2nd floor lights framed by colonettes and the 3rd floor ones with segmental
pediments; colonnetted stone domed cupola. Rear elevation, less inhibited
by the context of the Banqueting Hall, has a very large and prominent 2
storey bow with 2-light close set windows,those on 1st floor in pilaster
frames with entablatures; cornice and balustraded parapet.
The Builders' Journal (A.J./A.R.); Vol I, 1895
Listing NGR: TQ3017380040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings