History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dove House

A Grade II Listed Building in Rodley, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8018 / 51°48'6"N

Longitude: -2.3693 / 2°22'9"W

OS Eastings: 374630

OS Northings: 211523

OS Grid: SO746115

Mapcode National: GBR 0K8.V3T

Mapcode Global: VH94G.WZ94

Entry Name: Dove House

Listing Date: 15 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266998

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420052

Location: Westbury-on-Severn, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Westbury-on-Severn

Built-Up Area: Rodley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Westbury-on-Severn St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Framilode

Listing Text

SO 71 SW WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN RODLEY


11/10003 Dove House

II
House. Built 1766-77. Flemish bond brick to front and sides with stucco quoins; rear outshot has
copper slag blocks to walls; 1980s extension to rear of lias and Coleford brick; hipped Welsh slate
roof with end stacks. Double-depth plan including rear outshot; rear and left-hand extensions of
1981 and 1989. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window facade with bracketed eaves and pedimented
centre with device in tympanum of shell with hawk. Late C19 half-glazed door set beneath
bracketed segment pediment, restored 1980s. Flat arches with voussoirs and keystones over late
C19 2/2-pane sashes in deepened openings flanking door and over 18th century Gothic-style
2-light casements to first floor which have switch tracery and iron opening lights;
semi-circular-arched 2-light casement, with leaded panes above transom, above door. Interior:
C18 joinery details including panelled doors and cupboards with moulded architraves; late C19
panelled shutters to ground floor and late C19 fireplace to ground-floor left. Mid C18 stair with
turned balusters, possibly reset from its original position, with ramped handrail and carved
monkey's head. Mid C18 collar truss roof with through purlins scarfed at principal rafters. The
first floor windows have reset C15 glass, probably from Arlingham Church, which include King's
head, Jack-in-the-Green mask and Crucifixion with the Instruments of the Passion. According
to deeds in the possession of the owner, this house was built by 1777 when reference was made
to the " new house". Although the device in the tympanum is clearly that of a hawk with its bells
and jesses, the house has been called Dove House from the 1876 Morris's Directory. A curious
example of the provincial craftsman's interpretation of mainstream classical styles, with some
interesting features including the device, original casements and reset medieval glass.


Listing NGR: SO7463011523

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.