History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Causeway Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3037 / 52°18'13"N

Longitude: 0.2004 / 0°12'1"E

OS Eastings: 550125

OS Northings: 269568

OS Grid: TL501695

Mapcode National: GBR M7K.HH4

Mapcode Global: VHHJR.FC99

Entry Name: Causeway Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50710

Location: Waterbeach, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Waterbeach

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Waterbeach St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Waterbeach

Listing Text

WATERBEACH CHITTERING
TL 56 NW
5/145A Causeway Farmhouse
II
Farmhouse. Circa 1620 with late C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Timber
framed, plastered and weather boarded. Limestone and brick plinths. Plain tiled
roofs; red brick ridge stack. Two storeys with attic to right hand, continuous
jetty, three unit ground floor and two unit first floor plan. One storey kitchen
wing and outshut to rear. West elevation: rectangular stack with conjoined diagonal
shafts, rebuilt upper courses. Jetty cased in weather boarding with two rendered
brick pier supports. Main entrance to left hand with boarded door, two ground
floor and three first floor windows of various sizes with glazing bars. Interior:
Timber frame of five bays, conventional construction with chamfered soffits
to main timbers and cyma-stop-chamfers to ceiling beams. Back to back hearths
at ground floor blocked by late C18 hearths and cupboards, two first floor hearths
with small grates. Staircase C19 rising to attic floor on east of stack. C18
kitchen wing with large gable end stack formerly with a baking oven. The farmhouse
is situated on a former fen island, Elmney, historically associated with the Benedictines
and Denny Abbey; a Roman road or causeway linked the island with that of Denny
Abbey. In 1548 after the Dissolution of the Abbey the site was leased to Edward
Elkington.
Ravensdale J Liable to Flood, 1974.


Listing NGR: TL5012569568

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.