History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Firsby, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.141 / 53°8'27"N

Longitude: 0.174 / 0°10'26"E

OS Eastings: 545512

OS Northings: 362636

OS Grid: TF455626

Mapcode National: GBR LXG.2SL

Mapcode Global: WHJM5.N91W

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418905

Location: Firsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Firsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Firsby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Firsby

Listing Text

FIRSBY CHURCH LANE
TF 46 SE
(north side)
4/34 Church of
St. Andrew
3.2.67

G.V. II

Parish church. 1856 by G. E. Street. Limestone ashlar. Plain
tiled roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. Gabled
west bellcote with 2 pointed openings each containing a bell, and
gablet kneelers and weathervane. Nave with west bellcote and
south porch, apsidal chancel with north vestry. West front with
plain splayed plinth and 2 chamfered string courses. Oculus
with plate traceried quatrefoil and trefoils, set under pointed
relieving arch. North side of nave with 3 pairs of cusped
lancets and continuous sill band below. Vestry with tall chimney
and pointed doorway in west side, with continuous moulded
surround and plank door. Gabled to north with splayed plinth and
2 chamfered string courses. Pointed window with cusping and
trefoil above. Chancel with string course rising to run as a
sill band beneath the pointed east window with 3 cusped lights
with 3 plate cusped oculi above and hood mould. Gable imposed
above apse. South side of chancel with single pointed window
with 3 trefoil headed lights, the central light being taller.
South side of nave with 2 pairs of cusped lancets with sill band.
Gabled porch to left with south doorway with pointed head,
chamfered surround, including slender shafts as responds, and
hood mould. Inner doorway with pointed chamfered head, and broad
chamfered responds breaking into the head, and plank door.
Interior with pointed chancel arch with chamfered inner order and
chevroned outer order; semi-circular responds with large crocket
capitals. Semi-circular stone pulpit with flight of 3 stone
steps and tall pedestal and articulated by single purbeck marble
shaft supporting book rest. Vestry doorway with continuous
chamfered surround and plank door. Sedilia on south side with
segmental head, inner cusping, responds and lable stops. C19
communion rail, choir stalls, pews and octagonal font. Monument
to Mary Alice Walls, died 1877, of coloured marble mosaic with
gilded diaper work, and young woman in white robes and with
flowing red hair.


Listing NGR: TF4551262636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.