This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6561 / 50°39'21"N
Longitude: -4.7323 / 4°43'56"W
OS Eastings: 206968
OS Northings: 87610
OS Grid: SX069876
Mapcode National: GBR N2.827P
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZB.N75
Plus Code: 9C2QM749+C3
Entry Name: Trebrea Lodge and Flanking Pavilions
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Last Amended: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68829
Location: Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34
Civil Parish: Tintagel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tintagel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 08 NE
Trebrea Lodge and flanking
4/167 pavilions (previously listed as
House and flanking pavilions. Probably mid C18. Stuccoed front elevation with
rusticated quoins. Partly slate hung on rear elevation. Rag slate roof: 2 lower
wings to right and left with gable ends and sprocketted eaves. The roof of the left
hand wing has been coated in bitumen. Rendered stacks on gable ends. Higher central
range with hipped ends, end stacks and rear lateral stack on left.
Unusual plan with entrance asymmetrically placed in central range and 2 flanking
service wings of 2 room plan. The central section has an entrance to right which
leads directly into a large stairhall heated by a fireplace in the right hand side
wall. The large room on the left is heated by a rear lateral stack. The stair is
partly incorporated in a shallow projection to rear and leads up to the large drawing
room on the first floor which is heated by the left hand end stack.
The 2 lower service wings are heated by gable end stacks with a further circa C19
service outshot to rear of central range. Curved quadrant walls connect the service
wings with 2 small pavilions probably built as coachhouses and stables (qv Pavilion
originally part of Trebrea Lodge to north of Trebrea Studio). Local tradition
suggests that the 2 service wings were the earlier 2 houses occupied by 2 separate
branches of the Bray family and that the central range was built by John Bray in
3 storey central range and 2 storey and attic flanking wings. Overall 2:4:2 window
front. The central section has complete circa late 018 or early and fenestration
with 12-pane hornless sashes and crown glass, rusticated quoins and keystones.
Ground floor; C20 stone rubble porch to right with C19 part glazed door and panelled
reveals and three 12-pane sashes to left. Four 12-pane sashes on first floor and
four 3 over 6 pane sashes on second. The lower wings to right and left each have two
12-pane hornless sashes on ground and first floor with a full dormer window in the
right hand wing.
Crenellated quadrant walls connect the service wings to the small pavilions which
project forward from the central section. These 2-storey pavilions with their
regular 2-window fronts have sash windows and pyramidal roofs. Unaltered rear and
side elevations. The right hand quadrant wall has 3 tiers of pigeon holes.
Interior : largely complete. Within the stairhall an opening immediately to the
right of the entrance, leads directly into a shaft which extends the full height of
the south, right hand wing opening out into a tunnel across the rear of the house.
The purpose of this opening is unclear although there is evidence to suggest that
members of the Bray family were involved in smuggling. The ceiling of the stair hall
has circa mid C18 moulded ribs to the plaster roundels with floral motifs in deep
relief. The open-well stair has square fluted newels and stick balusters. In the
dining room to the left of the stair hall is an oak chimneypiece with overmantle,
believed to have been purchased by Dr Dickenson who lived at Trebrea 1911-1913. The
chimneypiece is probably C19 whilst the overmantle incorporates some early C17
carving with bracketted entablature and mannerist terms. On the first floor are 2
circa mid C18 6-panelled doors with raised and fielded panels and the plasterwork in
the drawing room is rococo in style and probably 1750s to 1780s.
The house prior to 1790 formed part of the ancient manor of Downrow and Trenale and
was known as Downrow Lodge. Considerable documentary material survives in the Duchy
of Cornwall records relating to the occupation of the Bray family.
Trebrea Lodge, a little bit of history (pamphlet lent by owners)
Canner, A. C. The Parish of Tintagel, some historical notes 1982
Listing NGR: SX0696887610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings