History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Riding School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Welbeck, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2627 / 53°15'45"N

Longitude: -1.1671 / 1°10'1"W

OS Eastings: 455651

OS Northings: 374289

OS Grid: SK556742

Mapcode National: GBR NZ9Q.34

Mapcode Global: WHDFF.18H2

Entry Name: Riding School

Listing Date: 12 April 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267418

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418469

Location: Welbeck, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Welbeck

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Listing Text

SK 52 74 and SK 55 74
11/98

HOLBECK
RIDING SCHOOL ROAD
Welbeck Estate Village (North side)
Riding School

GV
II*
Riding school, now warehouse. Completed 1869. Ashlar, cast iron
and glass. Shaped tile roof. Moulded eaves band set on a
plinth. Quadrangle plan. 2 storeys. South and north fronts of
19 bays. The central and outer single bays project, having
coped gables with mannerist style orb finials. Central bay with
large rusticated carriage archway with bracket keystone and
double decorative wooden door. Flanked by single vermiculated
rusticated pilasters which support an entablature surmounted by 2
similar half finials. Either side are 8 blind arches in
rusticated surrounds with keystones. In the outer bays are
single similar doorways and surrounds. Above is a central
glazing bar fixed light in raised ashlar surround with keystone
and decorative ashlar scroll at each corner, 2 consoles support a
slightly projecting hood with decorative strapwork over. Either
side are 8 glazing bar fixed lights in raised ashlar eared
surrounds with keystones. The outer bays have similar single
windows and surrounds to the central bay. The east and west
fronts are 5 bays each with central projecting gabled bay as the
south front, with central similar doorway and surround. Flanked
by single recessed panels with raised ashlar eared surrounds and
keystones and single vermiculated rusticated arched doorways with
bracket keystones and similar double doors. Above is a central
similar light and surround to the central south front. Flanked
by 2 glazing bar fixed lights in raised ashlar eared surrounds
with keystones. Interior. Glass and iron vaulted roof supported
on Doric cast iron columns and decorative brackets set 3 metres
in from the walls and thus forming aisles. The east and west
ends have single large central arched lights with decorative iron
glazing. There is a modillion and dentil cornice. Dimensions
385 by 112 feet and 52 feet high. The west half of this building
is in Holbeck parish, the east half in Welbeck parish.


Listing NGR: SK5565174289

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.