This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7497 / 51°44'58"N
Longitude: -2.2236 / 2°13'24"W
OS Eastings: 384662
OS Northings: 205691
OS Grid: SO846056
Mapcode National: GBR 1MK.8N3
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.D9V0
Entry Name: Stratford Park
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418689
Location: Stroud, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Stroud
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Whiteshill St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
1. STRATFORD ROAD
the entry and description shall be amended to read:
SO 8405 STROUD STRATFORD ROAD
5/67 Stratford Pamk
House, since 1936 in local authority ownership. Built in the
late C17 for the Gardiner family, with initials G.G. (Giles
Gardiner) and date 1674 inscribed on lintel to rear.
Remodelled and extended to front (south) in C1780s, probably
by Anthony Keck for Nathaniel Winchcombe; top (third) storey
removed in 1892.
Built of squared and coursed limestone, with ashlar fronts to
south and east;
parapetted slate roof with ashlar stacks.
PLAN: C17 house extended to front (south) to make double-depth
plan with central stairhall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with bracketted cornice and plat band to
C18 east and south elevations. 4-bay south front with parapet
(remodelled 1890s) swept up to ashlar stacks, 6/6-pane sashes
in square-headed architraves, and blocked windows flanking
entrance (remodelled 1892) with Ionic porch and 1890s doorway
and architrave. 5-bay east elevation with pedimented central
bay: similar first-floor sashes, the tall ground-floor sashes
having large 4-pane bottom sashes. Venetian window with
Corinthian capitals to first floor of central bay, above wide
tripartite window articulated_by Ionic capitals and with
half-glazed door to right of 6/9-pane sashes.
West elevation has late C17 stone-mullioned windows, some with
leaded lights and with a variety of' chamfers, ovolo and
cavetto mouldings; lintel with initials and date above doorway
with late C17 cyma-moulded architrave and late C18 6-panelled
door. Similar 2-light windows to rear (north) elevation,
including projection now with flat roof.
INTERIOR: (rooms are described in relation to front or south
Front hall and ground-floor room to left remodelled in 1890s,
the latter with panelled dado and fireplace. Principal
ground-floor rooms had fireplaces replaced in 1890s, but some
late C18 fireplaces with neo-classical enrichment have
survived, notably in first-floor rooms. Ground-floor room to
rear right has retained late C18 panelled dado. Enriched
plaster cornices with neo-classical ornament to ground-floor
room to right, rear dining room and central stairhall (now
subdivided); also to stair landings (fluted brackets to
cornice as in stairhall) and to most first-floor rooms.
Original joinery including panelled doors and shutters, the
doors retaining original brass fittings. The stairhall has a
fine late C18 open-well staircase with guilloche and
honeysuckle motifs to patterned cast-iron balustrade, and at
first-floor level opens out through arches with rosettes to
panelled intrados into two vestibules to front and rear. Late
C18 service stair to rear left with stick balusters and ramped
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Stratford Park estate belonged to the
Gardiner family between 1653 and 1778, when it was bequeathed
by Sarah Gardiner to James Winchcombe of Bownham Park,
Rodborough. It was his son who remodelled the house. The late
C18 work bears strong similarities to the local work of
Anthony Keck, whose Gloucestershire commissions included
Bowden Hall, Atcombe Court and Flaxley Abbey.
SOURCES: Kingsley N, The Country Houses of Gloucestershire
(Vol.II, 1660-1830)", Chichester 1992. _
SO 8405 5/67 1.5.51.
Mid C18. Ashlar. 2 storeys. Modillion eaves cornice. 5 ranges of double-hung
sash windows with glazing bars, of which central 3 break forward and are crowned
by pediment: 1st floor Venetian windows with Corinthian pilasters: Ionic pilasters
on ground floor.
Listing NGR: SO8466205691
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings