History in Structure

Church of St Lucia

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upton Magna, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7081 / 52°42'29"N

Longitude: -2.6624 / 2°39'44"W

OS Eastings: 355339

OS Northings: 312473

OS Grid: SJ553124

Mapcode National: GBR BN.2F70

Mapcode Global: WH9D0.26F8

Plus Code: 9C4VP85Q+62

Entry Name: Church of St Lucia

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Last Amended: 17 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418205

ID on this website: 101267600

Location: St Lucia Church, Upton Magna, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Upton Magna

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Upton Magna St Lucia

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



4/101 (20/1) Church of St Lucia
13.6.58 (formerly listed as
Church of St Lucy)


Parish church. Early C12 and late C15, partly rebuilt and restored in 1856
by G.E. Street. Dressed red and grey sandstone and additions in rock-faced
grey sandstone, all with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. C12 nave and
chancel, late C15 west tower, and south porch, and north aisle and vestry
of 1856. Tower: 2 stages externally; chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses
have 6 off-sets with trefoil-headed and quatrefoil panelled top stages,
string courses with carved heads, top course forming hoodmould over belfry
openings; semi-hexagonal stair turret to south-east with broaches to square
first stage and small rectangular windows; carved quatrefoil frieze below
parapet string with corner gargoyles, and battlemented parapet to pyramidal
cap with weathervane; louvred belfry openings with 2 trefoil-headed lights,
quatrefoil tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals; small 2-light square-
headed opening below belfry to west has hoodmould with carved wreathed
stops; large first stage west window with 3 trefoil-headed lights, panelled
tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with carved head at apex and
carved heads as stops; clock beneath belfry opening to north. Nave: large
C19 buttress to south-east, semi-integral C19 stack to north-east with square
base, circular shaft, and moulded cap; coped parapeted gable ends;
south front: two C14 windows to right each with 2 ogee trefoil-headed
lights and double-chamfered reveals, that to left with quatrefoil in tracery;
round-arched south doorway to left has C19 boarded door with elaborate iron-
work; C19 porch with chamfered plinth, parapeted gable, chamfered archway
with moulded imposts and hoodmould with dog-tooth decoration, chamfered
circular quatrefoil side windows, and side benches within. Chancel: C19
angle buttresses to east and parapeted gable end; pairs of small C12 round-
arched windows to north and south, those to east slightly higher, blocked
round-arched priest's door to south; chamfered stepped triple lancets to
east. North aisle: buttressed lean-to with cill string and parapeted verges;
parapeted gable to left has window with 3 trefoil-headed lights, large quatre-
foil in tracery and chamfered reveals; 2 one-light diamond-leaded trefoil-
headed windows to right; west end has window with 2 trefoil-headed lights
and trefoil plate tracery; north vestry: buttressed lean-to with parapeted
verge; chamfered rectangular window to right and boarded door to left with
elaborate ironwork and chamfered reveals. Interior: C19 four-bay nave roof
with moulded braces springing from corbels to tie-beam, king posts, and
quatrefoil panels; single-framed C19 chancel roof with delicate painted
flower decoration and battlemented frieze; C19 three-bay north aisle arcade
with octagonal piers on large moulded bases, with moulded capitals and
chamfered arches, springing from corbels at ends; C15 chamfered tower arch
with moulded capitals; C19 chancel arch, inner chamfer springing from corbels
and outer moulding and hoodmould with carved stops; chamfered-arched vestry door-
way has boarded door with elaborate ironwork; chamfered rear arches and
reveals to windows. Fittings: C17 stone font restored in C19 with quatre-
foil-shafted stem on moulded base, large octagonal bowl dated: "IP RF/1628 IW",
and C19 wooden top; C19 fittings probably by Street including stone pulpit,
low stone chancel screen, choir .stalls, altar rails and reredos. Monuments:
in tower to Walter Barker (died 1644) with semi-reclining figure, Corinthian
pilasters flanking oval panel behind and supporting open segmental pediment with
shield, and plinth decorated with strapwork; other late C18 or early C19
memorial tablets. Mid- and late C19 stained glass. This church is also
known as the Church of St Lucy. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account
of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.7, Pp.627-9; B.o.E., p.307.

Listing NGR: SJ5533912473

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.