History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thames House (North and South Blocks with Bridge Link)

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.494 / 51°29'38"N

Longitude: -0.1257 / 0°7'32"W

OS Eastings: 530209

OS Northings: 178888

OS Grid: TQ302788

Mapcode National: GBR HL.XM

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RQW3

Entry Name: Thames House (North and South Blocks with Bridge Link)

Listing Date: 16 January 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267604

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418229

Location: Westminster, London, SW1P

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Vincent Square

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Stephen Rochester Row

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 3078 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER MILLBANK, SW1
106/3
Thames House (North
16.1.81 and South Blocks with
Bridge-Link)

II
G.V.

Office blocks linked by bridge. 1928 by Sir F. Baines as part of uniform
composition with Imperial Chemical House, q.v., flanking Horseferry Road
approach to Lambeth Bridge. Portland stone and granite on steel frame,
leaded roofs. Monumental office blocks and bridge-link treated in the
Lutyens-Baker manner with giant order dressing the "top hamper" below
steeply hipped roof, identical with Imperial Chemical House on splayed
corner elevations but slight variant in design to Millbank. 5 storeys with
3-storey attic. Millbank elevation has South Block of 21 windows wide,
4-window wide bridge-link with North Block of 12 windows wide, 7-window
wide splayed corner and return to Horseferry. Road. Granite faced ground
floor with principal doorways in 2nd bay in from bridge-link, archivolt
arched with carved spandrels, flanked by pilasters carrying entablature and
rising into 1st floor; the doors are plated and panelled in nickel-copper
alloy with naturalistic motifs, by W.B. Fagan. Recessed glazing bar metal
casements under flat voussoired arches, distributed regularly across
ground floor and rusticated 1st to 4th floors, with aedicules at regular
intervals to 3rd floor windows, 11 to Millbank and one each to centre of
other 2 elevations. Giant quoin pilasters and entablature above 4th floor.
The "top hamper" has giant order end pavilions of one window and 5 bay
colonnade to splayed corner on 6th and 7th floors; entablature with
crowning parapet. The bridge-link is slightly recessed with large
archivolt, keyed arch rising up 2nd floor with coffered tunnel vault,
rusticated spandrels and wall face above with band of windows separated by
escutcheon panels beneath entablature carried over from main blocks.


Listing NGR: TQ3020978888

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.