This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4572 / 51°27'25"N
Longitude: -2.1127 / 2°6'45"W
OS Eastings: 392268
OS Northings: 173136
OS Grid: ST922731
Mapcode National: GBR 2SJ.LNW
Mapcode Global: VH96C.BMGT
Entry Name: Tudor House
Listing Date: 25 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462496
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Chippenham
Built-Up Area: Chippenham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9273SW THE CAUSEWAY
930-1/10/247 (East side)
House, now a shop. Late C17. Timber-framed with plastered
panels; stone slate roof to the front, including 3 dormers;
double-Roman tiles to the rear wing; brick stacks to the rear
of the main block and rear-left of the rear wing. L-shaped
plan with parallel rear range, (U-shaped).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; 3-window range. The central
dormer is hipped, flanked by gabled dormers, all with C19
2-light casement windows. The 1st floor is close-studded with
a jettied gabled central 4-light mullioned and transomed bay
window flanked by pargetted panels, 2-light transomed casement
windows and diagonal bracing to the outer corners. To the
ground floor, the bay is flanked by slate pent roofs over
rectangular shop-window bays which flank the C20 door in a C17
moulded architrave. To the right, under the pent roof, is a
C17 stud-and-panel door with wrought-iron strap hinges.
The right return has a 3-light leaded casement to the 1st
floor with C17 translucent glass over a fixed window of 3 rows
of 7 panes.
The gable of the rear block is timber-framed with soft eroded
red-brick nogging, the main wall is stretcher-bond brick with
one C19 window to both floors.
INTERIOR: flanking the central passage from the front block to
the rear are C17 planked doors with fine wrought-iron strap
hinges; that to the right leads to the cellar. The winder
stair above it has splat balusters and square newels. The room
to the rear wing has an oak bressumer over a stone
Tudor-arched architrave with plain spandrels to an open fire
which backs onto the front block; exposed close studding and
rafters; a chamfered cross-beam; a fixed window to the right,
of 3 rows of 7 small panes. The room to the left of the rear
block has a smaller open fire with a moulded architrave to the
rear left; stone stairs to the centre; the kitchen to the
right has exposed rafters.
The roofs to front and rear blocks are 3-bays, that to the
front with external purlins, windbraces and wide oak
floorboards; that to the rear with threaded purlins. C17
planked doors and one thin C18 2-panel door to the attic with
large lock and key. Stone steps to the cellar under the front
block which has one chamfered crossbeam.
A fine late C17 town house exhibiting a characteristic late
use of timber-framing.
Listing NGR: ST9226873136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings