This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3851 / 51°23'6"N
Longitude: 0.5259 / 0°31'33"E
OS Eastings: 575855
OS Northings: 168148
OS Grid: TQ758681
Mapcode National: GBR PPW.1RL
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.2GC0
Entry Name: Former Town Hall and Medway Arts Centre
Listing Date: 1 June 1990
Last Amended: 21 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268228
English Heritage Legacy ID: 462086
Location: Medway, ME4
Electoral Ward/Division: River
Built-Up Area: Chatham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chatham St Mary and St John
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ7568SE DOCK ROAD
762-1/2/7 (North East side)
01/06/90 Former Town Hall and Medway Arts
(Formerly Listed as:
Town Hall and Medway Arts Centre)
Town hall, now arts centre. 1899, by GE Bond, converted 1988.
Bath limestone ashlar with ragstone rock-faced plinth and
slate roof with copper cupola.
STYLE: Free Renaissance.
PLAN: irregular quadrangular plan with central well.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement; SW front is 3:5 bays.
Symmetrical 5-bay section has projecting 3-window centre,
rusticated ground-floor and cornices between floors, with a
raised, pedimented centre dated 1899; 4 round-arched
ground-floor windows, tripartite first-floor windows with the
Chatham City arms, and round-arched second-floor windows with
3-bay left-hand section divided by giant attached columns to
upper floors with figures on top and blocked pilasters
beneath, blocked round arches to ground floor are entrances
and to first floor open with balustrades.
To the left, a 3-stage square tower with a curved balcony and
clock to each side, with an open bell turret with projecting
corners with paired columns, and an octagonal, domed cupola.
NW elevation is 4 bays with a central first- and second-storey
canted bay, and round-arched ground-floor windows. SE
elevation to former Council chamber has 8 bays divided by
pilasters, paired round-arched ground-floor windows and large
depressed 3-centre arched upper windows with mullions and
transoms and carved aprons, the right-hand gable return in 3
sections with a large 3-centre arched upper window in a raised
central section, with pedimented parapet. N corner a 2-storey
range including a chamfered corner with a large 5-light oriel
on a moulded corbelled base. Balustrade extends all round.
INTERIOR: richly detailed, includes a large entrance hall with
curved stair with decorative rail and newel, first-floor
enriched former Council Chamber to rear has a cast-iron
balcony, wainscotting and panelling, large former meeting hall
with proscenium arch and 6 roof trusses, Mayor's Parlour with
original sanitary fittings and ceramic tiles, and half-glazed
doors with enriched surrounds.
(The Building of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald:
London: 1976-: 201).
Listing NGR: TQ7585568148
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings