This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5176 / 53°31'3"N
Longitude: -2.5068 / 2°30'24"W
OS Eastings: 366493
OS Northings: 402447
OS Grid: SD664024
Mapcode National: GBR BWYR.2R
Mapcode Global: WH980.GVJ6
Plus Code: 9C5VGF9V+37
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461978
Location: Wigan, M46
Electoral Ward/Division: Atherleigh
Built-Up Area: Atherton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Howe Bridge St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 60 SE, 1480-/2/10006
LEIGH ROAD, Howe Bridge
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Parish church. 1875-77. Designed by Paley & Austin for Fletcher Burrows, owner of Atherton Colliery. Narrow coursed stone with red Runcorn ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs with coped gables and kneelers. 2-stage octagonal fleche over crossing with tall spire. Chamfered plinth, continuous moulded ashlar sill band. Nave with single bay side chapels, north porch, transepts, chancel with aisles and meeting room and choir vestry .West end has large central buttress between 2-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery, above in gable three small lancets. North nave has timber-framed gable porch with side windows. Single 2-light pointed arch window and two 3-light pointed arch windows with lancets. South nave has single 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery , large buttress and two 3-light similar windows with lancets. Side chapels have 2-light pointed arch windows to west and similar 3-light windows to sides. Gabled transepts have deep buttresses flanking 3-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery and two lancets in the gable above. Chancel has vestry to south with single lancet and ringing room to north with two lancets. Clerestorey has three small lancets under relieving arch on each side, north side also has raised stair gable with blind arcading. West end has large pointed arch window with five graduated lancets. Attached to west single storey meeting room and choir vestry with 3-light window to north and two 3-light windows flanked by single 2-light windows on west front. Interior has open wooden nave roof and two bays of quadripartite stone vaulting to the chancel. Chancel has circular and cluster columns supporting double chamfered arches. Fittings include pulpit on stone base with balusters, ornate iron altar rail, wooden pews and choir stalls.
Listing NGR: SD6649302447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings