This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2223 / 52°13'20"N
Longitude: -2.6157 / 2°36'56"W
OS Eastings: 358036
OS Northings: 258405
OS Grid: SO580584
Mapcode National: GBR FQ.21SW
Mapcode Global: VH84Y.MD1S
Entry Name: Lower Nicholson Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 August 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461941
Location: Hatfield and Newhampton, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Hatfield and Newhampton
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Hatfield
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 55 NE Lower Nicholson Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C17 or earlier with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed with plastered
infilling and with stone rubble plinth; partly stone rubble. Stone tile roof with gabled ends. Stone gable-end stacks with later brick shafts. PLAN: 3-room plan, parlour on left [west] with a gable-end stack, an unheated centre room with direct entry from doorway at front and lower end on right [east] divided axially. The centre room might have been an open hall and the floor inserted in the C17. The lower range set back on the right end was probably an outbuilding converted to domestic use. A small C19 brick outshut on the left end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetricall main range with 3-window front with 2 and 3-light casements and plank door to left of centre. 1-storey and attic timber-framed extension on right with stone rubble ground floor and end gable, C20 dormer window and C20 casements. On the left end there is a red brick outshut with a plank door. At the rear, one casement on first floor and another on ground floor by a doorway on right with a plank door; the left end of rear wall has been rebuilt in painted stone rubble; projecting range on left, stone ground floor and timber-framed above. INTERIOR: Left [west] room has intersecting chamfered ceiling beams, exposed wall-framing and small C 19 brick fireplace in gable end with oven to side. Centre room has two chamfered axial beams and winder stair at the back. Right-hand [east] end has axial timber-framed partition and the front room has chamfered intersecting beams, the axial beam with carved stops. Range to right [east] has chamfered cross-beam with run-out stops. NOTE: It is reputed that Lower Nicholson Farmhouse was owned [but not lived in] by John Dyer [1699-1757], the Welsh poet, itinerant artist and clergyman, author of the topographical poem 'Grongar Hill' , 'Ruins of Rome'  and 'The Fleece' .
Listing NGR: SO5803658405
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings