This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2014 / 52°12'5"N
Longitude: 0.1182 / 0°7'5"E
OS Eastings: 544852
OS Northings: 258024
OS Grid: TL448580
Mapcode National: GBR L79.SVT
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.0XBR
Plus Code: 9F426429+H7
Entry Name: Emmanuel United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 2 August 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461921
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Market
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Less
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4458 SE CAMBRIDGE TRUMPINGTON STREET
667- /6/10075 Emmanuel United Refonned Church
Church. 1874 by James Cubitt. Modified Early English style. Stone, with slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and sanctuary. 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses to lower 3 stages. Arched west doorway with 2 orders of shafts rising to gable, in the tympanum of which is a quatrefoil. String courses between storeys. Second stage lit through plate-tracery rose window. Narrow ringing chamber with 3lancets to each facet. Tall octagonal belfry stage with square pinnacles developing out of buttresses and terminating in openwork tabernacle pinnacles. Cardinal sides with one louvred lancet each face: one order of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and dog-tooth in the arches. Short octagonal spire with tabernacle lucarnes to each cardinal point. South side of tower with 2-stage polygonal stair turret entered through doorway under gablet and lit through cusped lancets beneath plain parapet. Aisles under sloping roofs pierced by lancets. Clerestory north and south consists of 2 groups of windows, each group of2 tall lancets flanked either side by one short lancet beneath an encircled quatrefoil. Short polygonal sanctuary with 3 pairs of lancets. Narthex added 1991 by Bland, Brown & Cole. INTERIOR. All stone-faced. 2-bay nave. Wide moulded arcade arches on low double drum piers with stiff-leaf capitals. Principal clerestory windows have internal shafts. Tall chancel arch on engaged colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals and corbels. Similar colonnettes support wall posts rising to double arch-braced roof with pierced spandrels. Chancel facets right and left of chancel arch with blind twin lancets. West gallery under tower with rosewood balustrade. Stained glass in sanctuary lancets of 1905 by Morris & Co., depicting Puritans with Cambridge connections.
Listing NGR: TL4485258024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings