History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Emmanuel United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2014 / 52°12'5"N

Longitude: 0.1182 / 0°7'5"E

OS Eastings: 544852

OS Northings: 258024

OS Grid: TL448580

Mapcode National: GBR L79.SVT

Mapcode Global: VHHK3.0XBR

Plus Code: 9F426429+H7

Entry Name: Emmanuel United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 2 August 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461921

Location: Market, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Market

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Mary the Less

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(West side)
667- /6/10075 Emmanuel United Refonned Church


Church. 1874 by James Cubitt. Modified Early English style. Stone, with slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and sanctuary. 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses to lower 3 stages. Arched west doorway with 2 orders of shafts rising to gable, in the tympanum of which is a quatrefoil. String courses between storeys. Second stage lit through plate-tracery rose window. Narrow ringing chamber with 3lancets to each facet. Tall octagonal belfry stage with square pinnacles developing out of buttresses and terminating in openwork tabernacle pinnacles. Cardinal sides with one louvred lancet each face: one order of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and dog-tooth in the arches. Short octagonal spire with tabernacle lucarnes to each cardinal point. South side of tower with 2-stage polygonal stair turret entered through doorway under gablet and lit through cusped lancets beneath plain parapet. Aisles under sloping roofs pierced by lancets. Clerestory north and south consists of 2 groups of windows, each group of2 tall lancets flanked either side by one short lancet beneath an encircled quatrefoil. Short polygonal sanctuary with 3 pairs of lancets. Narthex added 1991 by Bland, Brown & Cole. INTERIOR. All stone-faced. 2-bay nave. Wide moulded arcade arches on low double drum piers with stiff-leaf capitals. Principal clerestory windows have internal shafts. Tall chancel arch on engaged colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals and corbels. Similar colonnettes support wall posts rising to double arch-braced roof with pierced spandrels. Chancel facets right and left of chancel arch with blind twin lancets. West gallery under tower with rosewood balustrade. Stained glass in sanctuary lancets of 1905 by Morris & Co., depicting Puritans with Cambridge connections.

Listing NGR: TL4485258024

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.