This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9984 / 54°59'54"N
Longitude: -1.5726 / 1°34'21"W
OS Eastings: 427439
OS Northings: 567172
OS Grid: NZ274671
Mapcode National: GBR SW5.XX
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.TMBJ
Entry Name: Old Hall Henderson Halls of Residence
Listing Date: 27 June 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461837
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: North Heaton
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: High Heaton, Newcastle St Francis
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ 26 NE REDHALL DRIVE, (West
side) High Heaton
1833- /9/10061 Old Hall, Henderson Halls of
Student Hall of residence. 1929-32. Designed by Arnold Dunbar Smith of Smith and Brewer. Red brick with ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs and brick stacks, U-plan with wall and gates to fourth side. 2 storey and attics. Neo-Vernacular style. East range, east front has 14 windows arranged 1:12:1. Central range has 12 windows, arranged 3:1:3:3:1:3:3:1:3:3:1:3-lights the central 2 windows linked by blank stone panels, with projecting pavilions at either end each with a 3-light window, all in ashlar surrounds with metal casements. Above 12 hipped dormer windows each with a 2-light casement, and above again 9 tiny hipped dormer windows. West front has 12 window. 4 doors each flanked by single 3-light ashlar mullion windows, above the windows are 3:2:3:3:2:3:3:2:3:3:2:3-lights the central 2 windows linked by blank stone panel. South range, 6 window north front has similar arrangement of alternating doors and windows with dormers above. North Hall range has three 2 storey canted bay windows with brick parapets to south front. End pavilions have triple arched arcades to each inner face with ashlar impost bands and keystones. Above single 2-light window flanked by carved ashlar panels. West side has high brick wall with central gateway with square brick piers topped with ball finials and ornate iron gates. Interior, former Dining Hall has panelling topped with moulded cornice and panel doors in moulded surrounds plus 4-centred arched fireplace in timber surround. Stage behind moveable panelling at east end has original scenery fixtures. This is a very fine piece of Inter- War architecture, designed by one of the best traditional style architects of the period. It is a very well preserved example of the more traditional type of student residence.
Listing NGR: NZ2743967172
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings