This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1048 / 53°6'17"N
Longitude: -2.0264 / 2°1'35"W
OS Eastings: 398326
OS Northings: 356396
OS Grid: SJ983563
Mapcode National: GBR 24P.BH5
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.V765
Entry Name: 60, St Edward Street
Listing Date: 7 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461690
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Leek
Built-Up Area: Leek
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9856SW ST EDWARD STREET
611-1/6/116 (West side)
House with shops to ground floor, the upper floors now in use
as flats. Dated 1883. Possibly by William Sugden & Son. Ashlar
to ground floor, the upper floors faced with half-timbering.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic, 2-window range, comprising 2
parallel ranges (1 facing street) linked by narrower wing
housing hall and stairway within.
Facade has 2 shop fronts to ground floor, with central
entrance to upper floors, and wide entrance to rear courtyard
(now workshops) to right. Wide pointed arch with hoodmould to
central doorway, with name, 'Les Hetres' incised in the
stonework above; moulded stonework surrounding shop fronts,
each with recessed doorway with pointed-arched upper glazed
panels. Chamfered panelling to double doors in wide entry to
right. Timber-framing above, with roughcast panel infill.
First floor has one canted, and one squared oriel window
carried on brackets, each of 5-lights with mullions and
transoms. Sleigh arms on a stone between the windows.
Jettied second storey, with three 2-light mullioned and
transomed windows. Central gable with paired 3-light casement
windows with moulded bressumers above them, and decorative
ogee timbering in apex of gable. Gable surmounted by weather
vane. End wall stacks of moulded brick forming star-shaped
shafts with stone caps.
Rear range probably originally the principal living
accommodation to upper floors. Off-centre half-timbered gable
projecting as canted oriel to first floor, with paired 3-light
mullioned and transomed windows with mosaic stained glass in
the upper lights. Squared oriel over, a 5-light mullioned
window with cambered bressumer over. Decorative timberwork in
apex of gable above. Blocked door formerly giving access to
first-floor conservatory (demolished), now a window. Staircase
originally went up in angle of this rear range, and the
stair-windows survive, the principal windows containing
stained glass which depicts knights carrying shields
emblazoned with the arms of local families.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house is said to have been built for a
member of the Sleigh family, and appears to have been intended
to include retailing from the outset.
Listing NGR: SJ9832656395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings