History in Structure

Hertingfordbury Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7904 / 51°47'25"N

Longitude: -0.0964 / 0°5'47"W

OS Eastings: 531386

OS Northings: 211904

OS Grid: TL313119

Mapcode National: GBR KBQ.LGZ

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.88WB

Plus Code: 9C3XQWR3+4C

Entry Name: Hertingfordbury Park

Listing Date: 10 February 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461527

ID on this website: 101268728

Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertingfordbury

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Architectural structure Residential building

Find accommodation in



TL3111NE ST MARY'S LANE, Hertingfordbury
817-1/8/337 (East side)
10/02/50 Hertingfordbury Park


Country house, subsequently convent and now elderly persons
residential home. Early C17 with large scale C19 and C20
extensions. Red brick, ground floor centre part colourwashed,
Flemish bond, old tiled roofs. Original building a 3-cell
lobby entry plan, 5 bays externally, with a later C17 north
wing, much altered and extended in C19 with cross wings at
either end to create an H-plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. First floor centre range has
two 2- and three 4-light stucco-mullioned and architraved
windows with lattice pattern cast-iron casements, 2-light
window in central brick gabled attic dormer, moulded band at
first-floor level. Ground floor has similar but taller
windows, three 3-light with one 2-light, with projecting porch
left of centre, early C19, with brick Tudor arch with
chamfered intrados and jambs, dripmould, and parapeted gable
to old tiled roof. C19 Jacobean style cross wings left and
right to larger scale with 2-storey canted bay windows with
artificial stone mullions and transoms, lattice glazed
casements, brick spandrels and bases. Moulded stone band at
first-floor level, parapet with stone coping and pedestal
finials above, and tall Dutch gables with stone copings,
central finial, and 2-light stone mullioned attic windows,
with stone surround and dripmoulds.
Rear elevation has 2 Dutch gabled wings, that at left having
large segmental bay window on ground floor.
Late 1980s extension, containing escape staircases to right,
and left-hand Dutch gable recessed behind projecting gable of
north wing which has stucco-surrounded and mullioned windows
with dripmoulds, 5 light on first floor, 3 light on ground
floor. Recessed centre has C19 single storey lean-to garden
porch at left, with stucco-surrounded Tudor arch with twin
leaf lattice half-glazed hardwood doors, and gable with
moulded brick copings. To right tall late C19 staircase and
landing bay, part roofed with 10 light artificial stone
mullion and transom window with lattice leaded light glazing.
To east is large wing, 2 storeys and attics, added in 1953
when the building was in use as a convent.
Roofs: with gabled dormers, prominent C19 stone-coped Dutch
gables and brick coped gables, red brick chimneys, with C17
octagonal brick flues. Originals with 4 shafts on ridge left

of centre, and at right of central range, the remainder C19
INTERIOR: much altered and remodelled in late C19, with few
earlier features visible. Entry into vestibule is through area
occupied by large chimney on first floor, but some chamfered
beams with tongue stops appear to be C17 originals. Staircase
hall has an elaborate C19 open well stair with cut string,
iron-twist and urn balusters. Main rooms have C19 plaster
cornices and fireplaces. First floor has exposed chamfered
beams on landing, C17 chimneybreast and C17 mullioned window
with cast-iron lattice casements. Roof over central range C17
with halved and pegged rafters and butt purlins.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Hertingfordbury Park was a favourite royal
hunting ground associated with the Hertford Castle.
Hertingfordbury Park should not be confused with an earlier
house of the name located elsewhere on the estate, built 1685
and demolished in 1816. It was after that date that the
present house was transformed into a country house, with most
of the work dating from late C19. The park had been created
before 1285, and was acquired by Sir John Harrington in the
reign of Charles I. The lodge was converted into 'a good
house', which may refer to the early C17 core of the present
Hertingfordbury Park.
(Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hertfordshire:
London: 1902-1912: 501-1; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses:
Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 88).

Listing NGR: TL3138611904

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.