History in Structure

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7923 / 51°47'32"N

Longitude: -0.1041 / 0°6'14"W

OS Eastings: 530848

OS Northings: 212105

OS Grid: TL308121

Mapcode National: GBR KBP.QG9

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.46TV

Plus Code: 9C3XQVRW+W8

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 10 February 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268729

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461528

ID on this website: 101268729

Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertingfordbury

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Clergy house

Find accommodation in



TL3012SE ST MARY'S LANE, Hertingfordbury
817-1/23/346 (East side)
10/02/50 The Old Rectory


House, former rectory, in landscaped park. C17 with C18 and
early C19 extensions, altered 1930s. Yellow stock brick and
red brick English and Flemish bonds, timber framing with
plaster and stucco, Welsh slated roofs. C17 5 bay east wing,
extended to west in line with south face C18 to form 7-bay
south elevation, altered early C19 and internally in 1930s.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; south elevation has yellow
stock brick front over earlier stucco, 7 windows on first
floor, deeply recessed, 2 to each gable at left and right
having 12-pane sashes with Regency Gothick traceried heads and
architraves, and outer lancet arches, now contained within
tall rectangular openings with stuccoed lintels. 3 tall sashes
in centre with flat heads and louvred shutters. Ground floor
has tall 8-panel French windows with 2-pane transom lights and
tall louvred shutters, 2 to each gable left and right. To
centre two 12-pane sash windows with louvred shutters flanking
central French window with blind box head.
East elevation stuccoed, with 2-light and single storey
lattice glazed casements on first floor, C19 yellow brick
porch with chamfered Tudor arch, double leaf lattice
half-glazed doors with arched lattice glazed fanlight,
dripmould above, and moulded brick coped parapet gable with
kneelers. Projecting turret in English bond, red brickwork, at
right which contains staircase to attic.
Rear (north) elevation has exposed studwork framing flush-set
12-pane sash windows first and ground floors at left, 1930s
lean-to extension rear wall of house with large lattice leaded
mullion and transom hardwood windows first and ground floors,
the latter with Tudor style half-glazed door.
Roofs: with tall parapet gables at front. Gambrel roof over
rear of east wing, with gabled leaded casement dormer, red and
yellow brick chimneystacks.
INTERIOR: ground floor has 1930s panelled entrance hall with
Tudor arch with carved corbels representing Gog and Magog;
study with early C19 grate with reeded cast-iron surround with
pulvinated moulding and rosettes. Drawing Room has C19 coved
cornice and Greek key band with paterae, elaborate, probably
reset late C19 fire surround with Ionic columns and reed
frieze. Smoking Room has reproduction Jacobean oak panelling
brought from Essendon Place, and elaborate late C19 fireplace.

Dining Room has elaborate carved Italianate fireplace with
consoles, frieze with putti scrollwork and grotesques.
Polished oak newel stair with open string, barleysugar twist
on urn balusters and moulded handrails. Bedrooms retain some
C18 cornices - dentil cornice in front west bedroom and C18
fire surround in centre east room. Stair to attics C18 dogleg
newel type with stick balusters and moulded handrail, replaced
by C19 back stair below first floor, blocked window on half
Attics at east ceiled at collar level with exposed principal
timbers, dormer at rear has moulded mullions, lattice glazing
and a late C17 iron window catch. Attics have late C17 doors
with 2-small panels, plain architraves and strap hinges. Roof
over front range has king post and tie beam trusses,
supporting purlins, thin ridgeboard. Upper roof above attics
not accessible for inspection.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Old Rectory was the home from 1929, of
Robert Addis, who opened his toothbrush factory on the Ware
Road in Hertford after the First World War. The house and
gardens were embellished during the 1930s.

Listing NGR: TL3084812105

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.