History in Structure

Chapel 3O Metres South West of Goldings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8109 / 51°48'39"N

Longitude: -0.102 / 0°6'7"W

OS Eastings: 530942

OS Northings: 214175

OS Grid: TL309141

Mapcode National: GBR KBH.K06

Mapcode Global: VHGPG.5RY4

Plus Code: 9C3XRV6X+96

Entry Name: Chapel 3O Metres South West of Goldings

Listing Date: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461405

ID on this website: 101268816

Location: Broadoak End, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Waterford St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in



TL3014 NORTH ROAD, Goldings
817-1/5/363 (West side)
Chapel 30m south-west of Goldings


Chapel, now used as sports hall. 1923, architect Walter
Godfrey of Wratten and Godfrey. Red brick, English bond with
blue diaper patterns on end elevations, limestone base and
dressings, yellow sandstone windows, slated roof behind brick
parapet with stone copings, and parapeted gables at ends,
lower ends with Dutch profile, and octagonal turrets. Mixed
free Gothic and Jacobean styles, as on the main house. Side
elevations divided by buttresses into 6 bays, each with
recessed 3 light 4 central arched windows with traceried
cusped trefoil heads. Projecting porches with hipped and
gabled roofs, stone mullioned windows, and semicircular arched
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the architect Walter Godfrey (1881-1961) was
articled to James Williams, successor to George Devey, who had
designed the new Goldings mansion in 1870. In partnership with
E Livingstone Wratten he carried on Devey's practice after
William's death in 1905. Goldings was sold by Reginald Abel
Smith, son of the builder of Goldings to Dr Barnados Homes in
1921, who opened it as the William Baker Technical School in
1922. The chapel was built to enable staff and pupils to
worship without the walk into Hertford. The foundation stone
was laid by Mrs Burnett Smith, Deputy Mayoress of Hertford on
28 June 1923. The property was sold to Herts County Council in
(Hertfordshire Countryside: Campbell D: Goldings: a curious
Hertfordshire Mansion: 34-5, 38; Gray AS: Edwardian
Architecture: London: 1985-: 196).

Listing NGR: TL3094214175

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.