History in Structure

Broadoak Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8073 / 51°48'26"N

Longitude: -0.1051 / 0°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 530735

OS Northings: 213773

OS Grid: TL307137

Mapcode National: GBR KBH.Q6Y

Mapcode Global: VHGPG.4T8W

Plus Code: 9C3XRV4V+WW

Entry Name: Broadoak Manor

Listing Date: 12 April 1973

Last Amended: 9 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461228

ID on this website: 101269024

Location: Broadoak End, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Waterford St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Manor house

Find accommodation in



817-1/5/294 Broadoak Manor
(Formerly Listed as:
No.1 Broad Oak End)


Farmhouse, extended as small country house, now residential
nursing home. Early C18, enlarged (south-wing) and embellished
1923 in Queen Anne style, showing influence of Sir Edwin
Lutyens. Red brick, Flemish bond, hipped old tiled roof above
moulded wood eaves cornice, flush eaves on south wing.
Plan form obscured by internal alterations, but appears to
have been central entry with 2 rooms in double-depth
EXTERIOR: north elevation first floor has 3 flush set 12-pane
sash windows with segmental arched heads. Ground floor with
taller 12-pane sashes left and right of projecting porch added
1923, with twin leaf panelled doors, paired Tuscan pilasters,
entablature with modillion cornice, and broad segmental
pediment, with copper roof. East elevation with irregular
fenestration; a 2-light leaded-light wood casement at left,
above similar mullion and transom window, lattice glazed, on
ground floor, triple 4:12:4-pane sashes, first and ground
floor at right, broad 4-light leaded casement window under red
brick cambered flat arch centre left above doorway, this has
early C18 2-paned door with 4-light fanlight above and moulded
cornice hood carried on cut profiled brackets with moulded
cornices. 5 bays, with slightly recessed sashes, 9-pane on
first floor, 12-pane on ground floor, beneath flat arches with
segmental intrados. Central doorway with half-glazed door with
fanlight with Gothick tracery of interlaced ogees, and cornice
hood canted on brackets.
South wing north elevation has triple sash windows to first
and ground floors, brick cornice with zig-zag course above
moulded quadrant band, and brick panelled blocking course
below flush eaves.
South elevation, of 1923 south wing, of 4 bays, 3 with
flush-set sashes below segmental rubbed brick arches 16-pane
to first floor, 20-pane to ground floor. External chimney
breast in second bay from left and 2 small casement windows on
first floor. Brick pediment surround to attic dormer with
flush-set 12-pane sash, with segmental head and sill.
Roof: 1 large and 1 small hip-roofed casement dormer with

leaded lights on east, 3 small casement dormers on north, 3 on
west. Later south wing north elevation has 2 box dormers with
segmental roofs and copper sides, with flush 16-pane sashes, 3
similar on south elevation. Red brick chimneystacks, all
rebuilt, with 2 large chimneys with external breasts,
incorporating brick pedimented surrounds to flush-set attic
dormers, with substantial rectangular shafts, on moulded bases
with oversailing band caps, on east and right of centre on
south elevation of south wing.
INTERIOR: much altered when south wing built in 1923. Entrance
from east with stair hall with altered straight flight close
string newel stair with column balusters. Ground floor
north-east room has exposed chamfered beams, C18 corner
cupboard with 4-panel door on H-hinges, bold double cyma
cornice, and fireplace with stone bolection surround, part of
1923 alterations. Library runs length of west side, created in
1923, divided into bays by fluted pilasters, bookcases in
recesses, fireplace with marble surround, carved wood outer
surround with pulvinated acanthus frieze and sunburst head on
central block. First floor central corridor has 3 exposed
chamfered beams. Attic has some exposed purlins and principal
rafters, and 3 beams in central corridor. Roof structure much

Listing NGR: TL3073513773

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.