History in Structure

130, Fore Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hertford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7967 / 51°47'47"N

Longitude: -0.0748 / 0°4'29"W

OS Eastings: 532860

OS Northings: 212643

OS Grid: TL328126

Mapcode National: GBR KBQ.CX3

Mapcode Global: VHGPN.N3BH

Plus Code: 9C3XQWWG+M3

Entry Name: 130, Fore Street

Listing Date: 10 February 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1268918

English Heritage Legacy ID: 461339

ID on this website: 101268918

Location: Hertford, East Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hertford

Built-Up Area: Hertford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hertford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



817-1/17/93 (South side)
10/02/50 No.130


House, now offices. Early/ mid C17, front range rebuilt and
refronted early C19, late C19 rear gabled outshuts.
Timber-framed, plastered, pebbledashed and colourwashed front,
plastered rear, with red brick Flemish bond outshut. Welsh
slated roof, above broad eaves with paired shallow brackets
and panelled soffits to front block; old tiled roof. PLAN:
original plan of 4 rooms with central fireplaces serving full
width front range, with central entry. 2 rear wings separated
by narrow yard (now enclosed), central staircase between
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys at front, 2 storeys at rear, with attic
room in east facing gable of rear range. First floor has 3
flush-set 16-pane sashes with moulded architrave surrounds. 3
squatter 12-pane windows on second floor. Ground floor has
canted mid C19 triple sash bay window with divided glazing at
left, and at right C19 shop window divided into 10 large
panes, with ventilation strip above. Slim surround with
panelled pilasters, consoles flanking fascia, and slim
cornice. Central doorway, with late C20 glazed door with
arcaded head below fanlight with tracery of interlaced
circles, and moulded architrave surround; projecting porch
with 4 slender cast-iron Tuscan Doric columns, entablature,
and cast-iron balcony railing with interlaced circles and
lattice patterns.
Rear elevation twin gabled with 2 large C19 sash windows below
rubbed red brick flat arches at left, 2-storey canted bay at
right with large C19 sashes, and rubbed flat arches and bands
of Staffordshire blue bricks.
Roof hipped at left (west), gabled at right (east), with twin
projecting gables, C20 clay tiles, and with tilehanging in
right gable. Chimneystacks in centre, that to right (east) mid
C17 red brick, having 6 clustered octagonal flues with moulded
bases and cap with mounded bands, that to left (west) rebuilt
C18 as single red brick stack with bands and oversailing
courses, and 4 orange clay pots.
Single storey outbuilding with C20 clay tile roof with
projecting tile-hung gable at left (west).
INTERIOR: opened out on ground floor and repaired after fire
in 1986. Moulded beams in east room, and reproduction oak
panelling installed after fire. Brick fireplaces with Tudor

arches with moulded jambs and intrados, that in west room
restored. Between chimneys stair with reset heavy newel of
tapered pilaster pattern, with square urn finial on pedestal,
moulded handrail. Ground floor now opened out into single room
with twin adjacent doors, and red brick fireplaces, 8 panel
door with cockscomb hinges adjoining. East wall has 2 blocked
2-light windows with ovolo mullions. Rear rooms have C19 fire
surrounds, one with eared architraves, bolection frieze,
moulded shelf and panelled overmantel.
Stair to second floor and attics has stick balusters, and
newels with ball finials. West room has C18 architrave fire
surround with moulded shelf and late C19 cast-iron grate with
'aesthetic' Japanese disc ornament. Roof structure retains
some halved and pegged rafters, and rear east gable has heavy
This building has been identified with one of 3 houses built
in Hertford by John Kelinge shortly before 1649.
(Forrester H: Timber-framed buildings in Hertford and Ware:
Hitchin: 1964-: 21-2; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 191; Smith JT: English
Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-:
158, 163; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory:
London: 1993-: 85).

Listing NGR: TL3286012643

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.