History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Apostles and Attached Rear Ruble Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Malmesbury, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5841 / 51°35'2"N

Longitude: -2.0982 / 2°5'53"W

OS Eastings: 393291

OS Northings: 187249

OS Grid: ST932872

Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.QB5

Mapcode Global: VH95S.LG30

Entry Name: The Apostles and Attached Rear Ruble Wall

Listing Date: 18 January 1949

Last Amended: 19 July 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269315

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460895

Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Malmesbury

Built-Up Area: Malmesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Malmesbury

Listing Text


MALMESBURY

ST9387 MARKET CROSS
758-1/4/238 (West side)
18/01/49 No.6
The Apostles and attached rear
rubble wall
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET CROSS
(West side)
No.6
The Apostle Spoon)

GV II

Inn, now restaurant. Late C14 or C15, extended C20. Roughcast
over limestone rubble, formerly with timber-framed jettied
first floor, with left-hand exterior gable and right-hand
ridge stacks and stone tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Single-depth
plan parallel to street, with full-length first-floor chamber.
The ground-floor projects with a C20 front, shallow tiled roof
and a central doorway; C20 leaded lattice casements. 4-window
rear has 2 casement dormers. East front (to right) has
half-octagonal stair turret with loop window and remains of
Gothic arch to former doorway.
INTERIOR: much structural alteration. Originally a jettied
front of which the moulded bressumer support exists adjacent
to the stairs, with an inner doorway in a moulded former
window head and part ogee-headed niche to the right. First
floor has stop-chamfered beams, jowl posts and a stone
fireplace, and collar-truss roof with wind braces to lower
register and butt purlins (repaired 1960s). The cellar has a
semi-circular tunnel vault extending beneath the road, and a
well.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rear wall curves round rear
area.
HISTORICAL NOTE: reputedly Hospitium to the Abbey, until 1924
the Green Dragon Inn. Said to be a blocked-in holy stoup, in
which so-called Apostle Spoon was found and seen in living
memory.
(Victoria History of the Counties of England: Crowley DA: A
History of Wiltshire: 134).



Listing NGR: ST9328887249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.