This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5818 / 51°34'54"N
Longitude: -2.0955 / 2°5'43"W
OS Eastings: 393476
OS Northings: 186995
OS Grid: ST934869
Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.YTT
Mapcode Global: VH95S.MHJR
Entry Name: Culver House
Listing Date: 18 January 1949
Last Amended: 19 July 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460728
Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Malmesbury
Built-Up Area: Malmesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9387 CULVER GARDENS
758-1/2/66 Nos.15-21 (Odd)
18/01/49 Culver House
House, now divided into 3. Mid C16 with C16-C17 NE range,
divided mid C19, and C20 SW extension.
Coursed limestone rubble with dressings, incorporating reused
ashlar and carved work, ashlar cross axial stack and 2 E gable
stacks and interlocking tile cross-gabled roof.
PLAN: 2-room plan with single-depth NE range.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range. Paired cross
gables to both sides and gabled ends, with a central
cross-axial stack, the original doorway replaced by late C18
round-arched doorway below the SW gable; 2-light mullion
window with cavetto mouldings and metal casements and label
moulds to first-floor and N gable attic; later NE range has a
long blocked first-floor mullion window with splayed jambs and
oak lintel, on the N elevation a garderobe loop at first-floor
level. Later windows with oak lintels, and E elevation with
early C19 segmental-arched openings.
NE range 1-storey and attic; 2-windows has a round-arched
doorway with keyed surround, fanlight and boarded door, and
segmental-arched openings; rear has original C16/17 3-light
mullion window with reserved mullions and label moulds and 2
gabled dormers. Blocked later windows with timber lintels.
INTERIOR: details include a collar truss roof, central
fireplace with heavy bressumer, a winder stair with carved
newel to the E side, chamfered, stopped ceiling beams, steps
down to cellar former kitchen with kitchen fireplace with
dressed jambs and lintel, door to steps from re-used plank and
muntin panelling with original ironwork.
The NE range includes chamfered ceiling beams and salt niche
HISTORICAL NOTE: the S face lies along the former town wall;
re-used ashlar is a feature of post-dissolution work in
Malmesbury. Reputed to be the residence of Parliamentary
Military Governor Col. Nicholas Devereux, from 1644-6; late
the home of the notorious Dr Edmund Wilkins, Alderman and from
1775 High Steward of the Old Corporation.
Listing NGR: ST9347686995
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings