This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.583 / 51°34'58"N
Longitude: -2.0964 / 2°5'47"W
OS Eastings: 393413
OS Northings: 187132
OS Grid: ST934871
Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.QST
Mapcode Global: VH95S.MG1T
Entry Name: St Aldhelms Presbytery
Listing Date: 1 July 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1269513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460710
Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16
Civil Parish: Malmesbury
Built-Up Area: Malmesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST9387 CROSS HAYES
758-1/4/47 (East side)
St Aldhelm's Presbytery
Stable, now part of presbytery. Early C19, extended late C19.
Coursed, squared limestone with coursed limestone rubble rear
extension and stone slate roof. Single-depth stable with rear
Single storey; windowless street front. The street elevation
has 2 round-arched recesses linked by imposts, that balances
the matching screen wall to the S side of Cross Hayes House
(qv); the right-hand return has a 6/6-pane sash in exposed
box, the rendered left-hand return includes a fragment of a
medallion from the Abbey, and C20 casements. Coursed rubble
rear extension has a central doorway in a single-storey porch,
2-storey outshut to the left, taller second floor behind the
porch, with horned sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the stable block to Cross Hayes
House (qv). The Catholic Church was built 1876.
Listing NGR: ST9341887133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings